Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 21 announced - how do you like the new features?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please see the announcement and info about the new features here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Let us use this thread to discuss the new features of the program.

On the above page there is also a link using which you can register to watch the ARCHICAD 21 Event.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
115 REPLIES 115
stefan
Expert
FWIW, the Building Materials and Profiles in GDL objects are really helpful to have more consistent models (combining native and GDL objects in material takeoffs). However, only a small subset of the INT library does take this into account. I guess it'll take a while before these methods are fully and consistently applied throughout the ARCHICAD library.

I've tried with a small object we're developing for a client and it is very straightforward to apply. But then again, I'm not developing a 1000-object library with 100s of macro's and UI panels interfering with eachother.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
runxel
Legend
Barry wrote:
I think it may be a Windows OS limitation rather than an Archicad one.
It's not, Barry. Many apps can do it.
Photoshop e.g. since... ever?

It would be interesting how the use of the different OS are, maybe even itemized in countries. But that's just my curiosity.

Anyway, all customers should have the same possibilities.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
runxel wrote:
Barry wrote:
I think it may be a Windows OS limitation rather than an Archicad one.
It's not, Barry. Many apps can do it.
Photoshop e.g. since... ever?

It would be interesting how the use of the different OS are, maybe even itemized in countries. But that's just my curiosity.

Anyway, all customers should have the same possibilities.
I'm not sure about individual countries per se, but worldwide, Windows OS (in its various iterations and flavors) are used in roughly 92-94%* of all existing computer systems, with Mac OS (also in it's various versions) used in about 6% and the rest (<1%) Linux

source:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

(*The 2% variance is based on whether you count hybrid tablet/laptops (like Surface Pro and Surface clones) as full computers or not given that they also run full versions of Windows and not separate Tablet OS (like iOS). Obviously the breakdown by strict tablet and smartphone OS is an entirely different story given Apple and Android's dominance in those areas))

I believe the source I got that data from can break it down for you by geographical region if not by country as well, but you have to subscribe to use that function.

A more interesting question would be what the breakdown is per profession - and specifically, ours - Architecture - since the perception has always been that architects and artistic types are drawn to Mac more than to PC, but reality tends to dictate that we work in a world where the tools are available for our platform and in which we can work easily with others not in our field (and therefore not sharing our affinity for a particular OS or platform).
Regardless, I believe the breakdown in architecture (as with other artistically or technically inclined fields) is just as lopsided to the Windows' side just based on sheer numbers and proliferation of Windows products and also the law of averages.
runxel
Legend
Bricklyne wrote:
A more interesting question would be what the breakdown is per profession - and specifically, ours - Architecture - since the perception has always been that architects and artistic types are drawn to Mac more than to PC, but reality tends to dictate that we work in a world where the tools are available for our platform and in which we can work easily with others not in our field (and therefore not sharing our affinity for a particular OS or platform).
I think GS could share some data on how the users are spread over the different OS
(At least here in Europe I think there are more architects that use Archicad on Mac.)
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn't make sense to suggest that this is a Windows OS limitation.

Lots of graphics and CAD programs are fully multi-monitor display capable within Windows, including no less than ArchiCAD's own Nemetschek sister BIM program in Allplan which has been multi-monitor capable for the last 2 versions already (since the 2015 version, I believe).

I imagine the programming it would necessitate to allow AC to accommodate this or to work in this fashion is not insignificant so much so that it's probably likely a multi-year development (if not complete overhaul of the graphics kernel) - assuming GS even have any plans at all to ever have ArchiCAD to be multi-monitor capable any time in the future, that is.

Windows wouldn't be the limitation in this case.
Nor would hardware, given the power of modern Graphics cards and GPU's.
it's definitely not, as you can drag all your tools, favs and pallets to another display, so why not the tabs!

As for mac vs windows, come on people, wake up and smell the roses !
mac is dead(unless they release something new very soon!)
the latest mbp, limited to 16gb ram !
the imac still hasn't been updated !
and the mac pro, you could buy 2 windows machines for the same price !
Anonymous
Not applicable
when we can download archicad 21int? today or tomorrow or two days later???
Karl Ottenstein
cagri wrote:
when we can download archicad 21int? today or tomorrow or two days later???
If as in previous years, and my memory is correct, it will be some time after mid-June.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
stefan
Expert
Depends on your required localisation -- our regional version is announced for September
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just have to say, I watched the premier on YT last night, it really showed what the stair tool can do.
But more than that the handrail tool is the one i have been hanging out to see what it can do & now i have seen a bit of it. Wow that will be a huge time saver.

I spend hours trying to get tubular handrails looking good on ramps mostly even with Cadimage handrail tool.
Wouldn't be great to have some of this element "associativity" that the new stair and railing tool take advantage of, expand to other ArchiCAD tools and GDL objects?
I hope that's in the plans for the future.

Imagine having slabs (or roofs) that are able to host light objects as well as A/C vent outlets and MEP connections in much the same way that walls host windows and can move or update with the changes in the structure or position and also display correctly whether on floor plan or RCP. Or even a drain object for slabs that not only gets hosted by the slab but correctly displays the slope on the slab and adjusts to the slab shape changes.

Ditto walls themselves also being able to host more than just windows and doors, but also lights, MEP (tubs and toilets), vents outlets.

Likewise, I heard it mentioned probably elsewhere that the idea might be to allow other GDL objects in ArchiCAD to pipe into, or take advantage of custom profiles created in the profile manager the way this new stair tool seems to.
So in this case having doors and windows have an option to change the casing profile to a custom profile allowing uniformity with baseboards or maybe just creative casings.
Or slab edges that can likewise have custom profiles (I realize the new railing tool can be adapted for this purpose, but it would be better to have it right within the slab tool itself) beyond just the slanted or angled edge and custom surface.

Some of these seem like they should have been no-brainers to me, but at least they seem to be getting to it.

What got me most excited from that presentation video was the ability to convert a component part of the stair tool into a morph, modify it's shape or geometry, and still have it read as a tread, for example, on the stair.
If I understood that sleek looking stair they modeled correctly, that is.

Same thing regarding how cool that would be for other complex ArchiCAD GDL elements allowing you to convert component parts into morphs and changing the geometry to custom shapes.
(like, imagine being able to convert a standard door handle part into a morph and adjust or changing the length, adding curvature,.....all on the fly and still have it read as a handle, rather than the conventional method of modeling it entirely as a separate object and saving it as a custom handle, which is fine, until you have to change one small thing on it).

It's all very exciting.