BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 21 announced - how do you like the new features?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please see the announcement and info about the new features here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Let us use this thread to discuss the new features of the program.

On the above page there is also a link using which you can register to watch the ARCHICAD 21 Event.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
115 REPLIES 115
stefan
Expert
The profiles are now supported in GDL. But you'd have to change their code to take advantage of it. Same goes for building materials in objects.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Eduardo Rolon
Bricklyne wrote:
Wouldn't be great to have some of this element "associativity" that the new stair and railing tool take advantage of, expand to other ArchiCAD tools and GDL objects?
I hope that's in the plans for the future.

Imagine having slabs (or roofs) that are able to host light objects as well as A/C vent outlets and MEP connections in much the same way that walls host windows and can move or update with the changes in the structure or position and also display correctly whether on floor plan or RCP. Or even a drain object for slabs that not only gets hosted by the slab but correctly displays the slope on the slab and adjusts to the slab shape changes.

Ditto walls themselves also being able to host more than just windows and doors, but also lights, MEP (tubs and toilets), vents outlets.

It's all very exciting.
This is "actually" kind of possible right now with the railing tool since you can add almost anything as a post, rail etc. and it will be associative with either a wall, slab, roof or mesh. One current example is adding trees to a site that follow the contours. Also you can control how it will look, either schematic or fully detailed.
Is it practical now? no idea.
Are the pieces there? yep.
Will they do it? hopeful.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
stefan wrote:
Depends on your required localisation -- our regional version is announced for September
Right. Cagri asked about INT though. 😉

Typically, INT is the first out the door. Several people have asked why it takes so long to release all of the different language versions. The translated text isn't simply a table look-up (like some apps where you can switch from one language to another as you are using the app). Each language version is a customized version, including all translated UI elements and library parameters, and sometimes country-specific features.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
In cadimage stairs there is a very useful feature called the Head clearance plane, showing a translucent sheet parallel to the stairs showing the min. clearance.
Is there anything like this in AC21?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Bricklyne wrote:
What got me most excited from that presentation video was the ability to convert a component part of the stair tool into a morph, modify it's shape or geometry, and still have it read as a tread, for example, on the stair.
If I understood that sleek looking stair they modeled correctly, that is.

Same thing regarding how cool that would be for other complex ArchiCAD GDL elements allowing you to convert component parts into morphs and changing the geometry to custom shapes.
(like, imagine being able to convert a standard door handle part into a morph and adjust or changing the length, adding curvature,.....all on the fly and still have it read as a handle, rather than the conventional method of modeling it entirely as a separate object and saving it as a custom handle, which is fine, until you have to change one small thing on it).

It's all very exciting.
I am afraid that is not how it will work. If a Tread is converted into a Morph, that Tread will be "deleted" from the Stair, and you will have a separate Morph element in your Project at the location of that Tread.

If you want special shapes that are still part of the Stair, you will have to model them, then save them as Custom Stair Tread, then enter Stair Edit Mode, select the Treads you need to modify and change them to the Custom Tread from the Tread specified in the Settings Dialog.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Rogerdodge wrote:
In cadimage stairs there is a very useful feature called the Head clearance plane, showing a translucent sheet parallel to the stairs showing the min. clearance.
I am not aware of such a feature.

Hopefully GRAPHISOFT will continue developing the Stair Tool and include these kinds of additional features as well.
laszlonagy wrote:

I am afraid that is not how it will work. If a Tread is converted into a Morph, that Tread will be "deleted" from the Stair, and you will have a separate Morph element in your Project at the location of that Tread.

If you want special shapes that are still part of the Stair, you will have to model them, then save them as Custom Stair Tread, then enter Stair Edit Mode, select the Treads you need to modify and change them to the Custom Tread from the Tread specified in the Settings Dialog.
That's disappointing to hear.

I don't understand why it isn't more of an in-process, in-place, more automated sort of thing, by which I mean you select the tread, convert it into a morph, make all your necessary modifications, and then select it again, right-click and save as Custom Tread - all while you're still in the stair settings dialog, and from where it's saved into the embedded library and immediately available to use on other treads as necessary.
It should be more automated and streamlined like that instead of the many steps you have to take going into and out of the stair settings dialog, loading and re-loading libraries and just adding more inefficiency to the whole process and the workflow.

Oh well,....
Baby steps, I guess.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rogerdodge wrote:
Roger,

See the below link for an article Jared wrote that does want I think you want.

https://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-education/tips-and-tricks/minimal-space-requirements-and-impr...
Bruce
Expert
If someone posted this earlier, I apologise, but here are some more improvements that haven't been promoted. They all look pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWVC3mc_rFQ13zD5C2Ov4dJ6
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
datarchitect wrote:

Roger,

See the below link for an article Jared wrote that does want I think you want.

https://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-education/tips-and-tricks/minimal-space-requirements-and-impr...
Thanks for that, not having it as part of the tool is only very minor in comparison the positives the new stair tool will offer, i can see that i will be using the AC stairs instead of the Cadimage stairs & adding a line or transparent fill or something is really not a big deal.

Its the hand rail tool I am really hanging to see more of. I'm hopeful that will save me a lot of time & frustration.
Learn and get certified!