cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Altering Roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have constructed a rather complex roof as shown in the picture bellow. I'm happy with its shape, pitches, peaks, etc, except for the plateau on the section roof to the right (the skinny rectangular area). I want to make a catwalk at that location, a little wider then the landing the computer has generated. How do I go about altering the size of that area? Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
TomWaltz
Participant
I usually recommend the Archicad 10 Step by Step by Tom Simmons, that's about $60.
Tom Waltz
Richard Swann
Booster
camhabib wrote:
All I want to accomplish is expand the smaller red dashed landing to the size of the larger green slab surrounding it.
I think Dwight answered already: Select the edges of the roofs and stretch them back till they meet the green rectangle slab. You will need to adjust the height of the slab in section/ 3d to meet the roof edges. A tip for future is that you can use roofs as horizontal surfaces as well as slabs. They can then intelligently find the intersections between roofs as previously described.
Richard Swann

MacOS 11.7 , Intel Imac 4k ArchiCAD 4.5-27 (Solo)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
camhabib wrote:
All I want to accomplish is expand the smaller red dashed landing to the size of the larger green slab surrounding it.
I think Dwight answered already: Select the edges of the roofs and stretch them back till they meet the green rectangle slab. You will need to adjust the height of the slab in section/ 3d to meet the roof edges. A tip for future is that you can use roofs as horizontal surfaces as well as slabs. They can then intelligently find the intersections between roofs as previously described.
Dwight and Richard, I attempted to do that but I'm having a few problems. There are quite a few slopes that intersect there on the lower right side, and its somewhat difficult to get them to match up nicely with the increased landing size. The best I can do doesn't look very pretty and leaves a rather nasty gap in the intersection of two slopes. I guess I'll just have to pick up a few guides and see what I can learn on my own.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Camhabib,

Your frustrations may not be totally due to the lack of training.

Don't forget when two roofs join that are the same pitch and are at right-angles to each other they will always meet at 45 degrees on plan.

ArchiCAD has worked out that this is the best (the only?) way of joining the roofs together at the same pitch, given the geometry of the walls below.

There are some extra joins in the roof that probably shouldn't be there (circled in red). Check the walls dashed in red on the attached image below to see if they are exactly in line. You may find that they are not.

To be able to adjust the flat area, you need the two roofs hatched (badly ) in green and blue to be single roof planes.

Trying to to increase the size of the flat bit manually without correcting it will be fighting the laws of geometry!

I think once you sort that out you will have no problems.

Hope that helps!

Pete.
(Yes, I know my sketch looks like a three-year-old with hiccups has drawn it. My excuse is I can't draw freehand with a mouse!! )