Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 14 (US) - Pen Sets

Anonymous
Not applicable
Back when I began using ArchiCAD (ver 6.5 & 7), there was always a lively discussion about the use of Pens (now Pen Sets). I am finally upgrading from AC10 to AC14.
My earlier er use and subsequent transitions has left me thinking to build a new template with the ArchiCAD base template (which incidentally does not seem to reside in the C:\Program Files\Graphisoft\ArchiCAD 14\ArchiCAD Templates folder like one would think)

Within the base template file are 6 different pen sets and the default set is US ArchiCAD 10 Default which is like the installed "Arch Pens Black" pen set except for the first 20 pens color is black for the latter.

I honestly can not recall what pen set methodology that I have landed on for the past few versions (see attached image), but I am not committed to have to stay with it. I just want to make it as easy as possible to always upgrade and to use third party tools like from Cadimage. ( Example would be not changing with the Fill associated with fill numbers 64,65, 84 & 85 )

Composites -
As AC14 looks the Composite walls are set mostly to use pens 1, 2, 11 & 12. And this would seem based on the Default pen sets to be a bit thick in the section and plan true weight views.

Which does bring me to a question to ask about the opinions of what mm or Point pens thicknesses work the best?

Cabinets and fixtures -
For AC14 it would seem the default library parts are pens 2 & 4 in plan and cross-section. Is this what Cadimage does?

Materials & Fills -
It would seem that other than some slight changes in the name designation of the materials and the addition of a "04 | " type prefix, the materials are fairly consistent based on the material number representation. What is the "o4 | " type text delineate?

It is strange how still in AC14 you cannot see the associated Fill number in the "fill types" window. In AC14 Complex profiles produced with fills of the same fill type do not merge as one fill where they may touch each other.

Complex Profiles -
It looks as if the AC14 Default profiles use the Foreground fill (#84) and pen #48.

Model.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pens set for Most of my Layouts
Layout Pens.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
For what it is worth here is what I am using for my Model pen set. I resolved to use the first 150 pens from the US ArchiCAD 10 Default with most of the same descriptions and pens 151-250 I do not know where I got the designations and I am not using them at this time anyway.)
rob2218
Enthusiast
here's my dilemma as well.
I've been chastised on this forum for "pleading" for someone's penset which works with AC14...the OUT OF THE BOX penset is what I'm referring to.

Answers I get are "do a search and learn".
Yeah, well all fine and dandy but.....we really need to have a PENSET which comes stock with AC 14 that when you begin to insert windows/doors/furniture/beams...etc.. they read like they are suppose to with proper lineweights and linetypes.

It appears that even though we have many veteran users (older than 40 let's say) no one seems to be too concerned about making the drawings we produce "look" right. Look light they have the proper line delineations to make our language (which is graphically in nature) read correctly. Seems like we've lost our ability to produce good, clear, concise drawings and are relying on the software to do just that.

Instead what I find on too many occasions is that users will insert a window, adjust the pen colors and thicknesses in that window to suite their needs and make a favorite. then continue "adjusting" that favorite to make other favorites....whereas what I'm looking for is a PENSET stock with AC14 that properly displays objects as they should be displayed.

it's not a difficult request to ask for.
the closest I've seen is the Archicad 10 default penset.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Barry Kelly
It is all about customisation.
Find a library you are happy with and customise your penset to work with that if necessary.
Or customise your library to work with your penset.

I would assume that the default library and pensets that come with Archicad would work together but that is just an assumption on my part as we don't use the default library and we have our own template with pen sets, layers, composites, materials, etc. that play nicely with our custom library.

Deviate from the default Archicad setup and you are going down the customise route.
Also what you consider to be good looking documentation may not be what others or Graphisoft consider to be the same.

Setting up Archicad to work the way you want it is a tough and ongoing exercise.
Even after 10 years of using Archicad we still make changes to our set up or wish that we had done something differently and just put up with what we have.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon
rob2218 wrote:

It appears that even though we have many veteran users (older than 40 let's say) no one seems to be too concerned about making the drawings we produce "look" right. Look light they have the proper line delineations to make our language (which is graphically in nature) read correctly. Seems like we've lost our ability to produce good, clear, concise drawings and are relying on the software to do just that.

This type of comment does not help Rob.

I have a template which is a composite of what Barry describes, it has taken 5 years to be develop (after throwing away the first tries) and it will take me about 2 hours to explain the concepts, reasons and details for it. To write all of it down would take some hours.

The short version is a Color per Object Type with 5 different pen settings, one each for Overhead, Projected and Cut. The two extras are for exceptions to the rules. The color base line has an exception for Remodels were I have a Color per object type and if it is existing or New, i.e. "Slabs New" are a different color than "Slabs Existing". I have other base options for Interior Work, Residential and Commercial if they are necessary. For printing I have a couple of sets to control the emphasis on different items based on projects.

There is no guarantee that any of them will fit the way you work, much like saying that if you use the same pencil that I use then you will be able to draw like me.

If you know how a drawing should look then you know the most difficult part. Keep your Pen Sets as simple and as flexible as you can.
Screen shot 2010-10-17 at 10.52.02 PM b.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
an AC elevation to show how I like to do them.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
A design development rendering.
No pen sets used.
Screen shot 2010-10-17 at 11.07.30 PMb.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

vistasp
Advisor
rob2218 wrote:
It appears that even though we have many veteran users (older than 40 let's say) ...
No need to get ageist, young man! 😉

Pen sets are very much a case of different strokes for different folks. Getting them to work to your liking will take some time but you'll be reaping the rewards for a long while.

Also, in my opinion, using the default pen set as a base is likely to be less complicated than starting from a customised one created by someone else - especially if you're using the default library.

Have you seen this thread? It might be of interest to you. Do note Karl's comment towards the end of the thread.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |