cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 9 is shipping in mid-September!

Bence Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Archi-Talkers,

We are happy to announce on ArchiCAD-Talk that ArchiCAD 9 will be released in September 2004. Shipment will start with the INT, US and GER versions followed by other localized language versions over the coming months. Based on the results of extensive beta testing we are confident that this version will be the most robust version of ArchiCAD ever. Please check www.graphisoft.com for the official press release on ArchiCAD 9! And... enjoy!

Bence Kovacs
Vice President

ArchiCAD Product Management
Graphisoft
174 REPLIES 174
Djordje
Ace
oreopoulos wrote:
I think you are falling in a trap. Its obvious that selecting using area and not handles its match smarter and easier, and its obviouS that the minor interface enchancments are great.
It seems to me that you are insisting that this is not an upgrade worth the number. While I might agree on PlotMaker, I definitely do not agree on ArchiCAD.
oreopoulos wrote:
What you are excited about is stability. Am i reading correct? But you are asked to buy stability that OUGHT to be there in the first place? Am i wrong?
I have never had problems with stability of the final versions; what I said is that the 9 betas were the first ones I DELIBERATELY did not manage to crash as often as before, which means therefore that the prduct as a whole is more stable. I also see your point, but show me any software today that cannot crash? I fondly remember my old XT at 4.77 MHz, that even had a math coprocessor! Wow! Now THAT was computing!

You are paying for a very much needed UPGRADE - to quote Dwight, the LigthWorks in itself is worth the number.

So don't cry that the grapes are sour - taste it first
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Quite right Karl, the support I've recieved on these pages would be worth ten upgrades!!

After dropping my little UK price post last week, I'm afraid I've been remiss in not obtaining further alternative prices, despite a couple of recommendations from other AC-talkers (?). Thanks to them.

I promise to make a couple of further calls in the morning and report back, although I wonder, as you mentioned in your earlier post, whether I should wait until the official release has passed before starting a new thread regarding regional pricing. I didn't intend to continue with shock posts regarding prices, honest! At least not until the dust had settled over the benefits of the new release - and I'm sure there are plenty of them.
Djordje
Ace
oreopoulos wrote:
But ARE WE GONNA WAIT FOR 2 MORE YEARS TO ACTUALLY SEE SOME FEATURES? BUILDING TOOLS!!!
Like what, exactly?

Let me guess some:

Freeform walls, curved roofs, profiled edge slabs and roofs?

Waiting for the rest of your list! If it is alreaduy there in wishes, please provide a link!
Djordje

HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Kevin wrote:
Quite right Karl, the support I've recieved on these pages would be worth ten upgrades!!
This sounds soo good

Now to the point: the UPGRADE price AFAIK does not include any form of subscription or support, and is extremely country and provider specific. You should always calculate what percent of the initial license price you are paying as upgrade.

The country specific pricing in this small world is not really something that should happen, IMHO. But then - maybe the fees are not same everywhere? If one does get paid by the RIBA scale, that is still way above the fees that you can reach in Estern Europe, where ArchiCAD is not much cheaper ... in fact, I know of a case where a UK based company purchased ArchiCAD licenses for their East European subsidiary in the UK because they were cheaper in the UK?!?!??! Sounds logical? Not really.

During my years with the local distributor for the Middle East, we lost quite a few sales to the clients that brought their licenses from the US where they mostly studied.

And so on ...

Whatever the price might be, you have to calculate it within the real framework of your business. If it pays, OK. If it does not, then there is a fault somewhere.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I first dont see a reason for a different pricing policy.
Why should a european price be twice as much asa US license?

And pass that.. does that have to continue with upgrades?

Is there someone for GS to talk about that? or its to hot to touch?

Then Djordje, about the feauteres expected. I am not goint to write my own wish list. Everyone here depending on there needs posted and voted for some wishes. I dont wont MY wishes in. But i want the software to progress.
Not that V9 is not a step forward,. But at that pace i will die before i see the program becoming ripe.
And ripe means no basic features are missing.

If you feel the pace is ok then i cannt argue.

This two points are my main objcetions. Price and Developing pace.

Ofcouse its for GS to answer, but i dont think it will.
stefan
Expert
Call it 8.5 or 9.0, but .5 versions never have been free.

And technically speaking, a lot of the improvements are probably only results from the 8.x version that was quite an 'elaborate' update (I don't like the word rewrite, since I simply don't believe it). That laid a foundation for the next years, but it came at a price: stability... This is certainly not the case with the new 9.0 version.

I thought upgrades to the new version were always around the same price (and usually more expensive where we live then in the USA).

ArchiCAD is still not a freeform modeller and it never will be. But does it have to? GDL is almost unlimited in it's form creations. Would it be cool that GDL-objects could also be classified as being walls or floors? Well, if they would bear the ability to contain openings, that is...
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
stefan wrote:
ArchiCAD is still not a freeform modeller and it never will be. But does it have to? GDL is almost unlimited in it's form creations. Would it be cool that GDL-objects could also be classified as being walls or floors? Well, if they would bear the ability to contain openings, that is...
I think we all know that ArchiCAD is currently not and never will be a Free-form modeller per se. But consider that over 15 years ago when alternative bona-fide Architecture BIM or Virtual Building modelling software was available, one Frank Gehry had to resort to the equivalents used by the Aerospace/MEC/Automobile and product design Industries (i.e. CATIA and Rhino) to realize his impressive Guggenheim Bilbao, and simply because the architectural equivalents at the time ( AutoCAD included,)quite frankly could not economically nor feasibly handle the breadth of information necessary to accurately document double curving planes and unorthodox forms that describe his project. And also realizing that now almost two decades later, Gehry still uses the same cocktail of alternative free-form modellers, because AEC CAD and BIM software still has not caught up and also that lesser architects of less celebrated stature likewise have to resort to improvised means to realize daring and creative designs ( unfortunately CATIA is just way out of most mortals price range; or at least mortals not named Gehry, Foster etc). And this despite the fact that the Structural Engineering Field is catching up; and to paraphrase Gehry's Engineer from Bilbao, they literally " can build anything we can dream of" today.

While most of us common folk are not going to go out and design iconoclastic and monumental pieces like the Walt Disney Theatre in LA or Strata at MIT, Structural Engineering ( which for the longest time was the limiting factor to building form design) has definitely advanced far enough to at least allow Joe Average Architect in small town USA( or Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa or whatever) to design a snazzy addition to a night-club or restaurant with a curvilinear canopy, foyer wall or roof, without having to resort to a 3rd party modeller or API gymnastics to have to visualize for the client and engineers what his vision is. Or at least that's what I would hope in the 21st Century it should be.

In ArchiCAD, convential solutions normally consist of either 'faking' it, or exporting the model and getting your free-form done in an alternative bona-fide free-form modeller ( 3DS Max, Rhino, Maya, Cinema 4D), while expending sheets and sheets of CDs to ensure that the design is properly understood by the Engineers.

I am in no way advocating that ArchiCAD should be a 3DS Max, or VIZ or Rhino for architects - or in essence a full fledged modeller. But the fact that more architects resort to those software as opposed to doing it the oh-so-often touted GDL route, should say something about GDL scripting or GDL as a means of realizing unorthodox designs and design forms in ArchiCAD. Or at least, most architects' aversion or inability to learn a programming language as opposed to an entirely knew 3D-modelling software. Most of us simply don't have the time nor resources to invest in learning GDL scripting, and that Graphisoft keeps using GDL to keep from having to improve their modelling tools and interface even at the most basic level, with each passing version, is in my opinion, partly a reason for some of the discontent with this upgrade.

To illustrate my point, I have attached an image of a proposal for an addition, that our firm did for a University building to expand the current seating capacity of the Football ( that would be the American (or rather Canadian eh) variety)) Stadium. The addition is of corporate boxes and the roof is a double-curved roof (curving laterally and in plan)- ignore the team logo. In order to accurately present the shape and form of the roof, I was forced to resort to the painful and painstaking method of the mesh-tool. Anyone who has tried the curved roof tool over large areas or worse yet, Profiler; probably feels my angst regarding going about something of this nature in ArchiCAD. Now I know that someone is going to retort that this would have been much more easily accomplished in GDL, but given the time-frame of this project, and the impending deadlines, this simply was not an option. So I had to do with the mesh tool what would have (should have) taken about 10-15 times less time with the curved roof tool or Profiler were they working as they should be. This despite the fact that such a form as this, is nowhere near as outlandish or eccentric as some of the stuff you would find within Gehric vicinity.

I don't mean to ramble any longer, but my basic point and personal feelings are that this is one of the things that at the very least should have been addressed and seems to have been totally ignored from the user wishlists - in the interest of improving stability and knocking out the bugs. From a small ( in terms of firm size) users point of view, you will excuse my saying, but Lightworks and a prettier user interface does not, an upgrade cost and purchase, justify. And I know that I can only appreciate the improvements having once I use it, but like Kevin said before, the only real value observed in trial runs, is during the course of real-world projects and not in 'save-disabled' user trial periods which are essentially useless to the time-constrained architect. This is but one example of a few of the improvements that were hoped for in the ArchiCAd modelling engine, which I fear we shall slowly begin to observe creeping into other BIM solutions ( Revit 7,8..., Microstation 15,20?) while ArchiCAD goes into hiatus for 2 years before releasing version 9.1 circa 2006 to fix the bugs from version 9 and forcing us to fork out another mortgage for that "upgrade".

just my 2 cents

Let the clubs rains.....
EXTERIORb.jpg
Petros Ioannou
Booster
Maybe this is the time to start talking about some major adittions for the next version of archicad since comments on AC 9 will not change anything. I think that ac9 has reached a high level standard in working efficiency, simplicity , stability etc. AC 8.1 was just a small (or in some cases big ) step behind it. But I think that now issues like the work environment, the production of CD's or the organizing of a project should not be addressed anymore. Not that there isn't any need for improvement, there will always be , but it is not critical IMHO. Since we have an architectural tool that has the ability to create a virtual building and extract various information from this model we should concentrate to the real handicaps of the application. The only problem I still meet in AC is not in the manipulation of the interface, or in the way the data can be extracted from the virtual building but in the kind of information I am able to add to the building. Sad to say but these have to do a lot with 3d modeling as Bricklyne Clarence said. No I am not also talking about an AC for Frank Gehry neither for a modeler like Rhino, but...
I always have this sense that something is missing from the 3d modeling abilities in AC. (No it is not Archiforma!). Not sure if I can clarify what exactly it is. It's about these small parts in a project that are not usually critical but their modeling can take critical time .
Probably you can do this "double curved roof" with gdl but what happens when you have to make a small correction?And if you manage to do it as a 3d solid what happens with its substructure? Is this productive? If we consider AC's performance with numbers (percentage-15 or 20 %) then we should see how this performance is decreased by these small tasks.
You can deliver a plan with with walls and openings etc in 3 hours but when it comes to railings the performance decreases rapidly! Not to mention what happens when a railing meets a stair etc. We all know it! It is these small parts that were very easily bypassed in hand-drawing times, but know we have unfortunately to incoporate them in our virtual building and it's not an easy job. You can always just draw them in 2d but...

Petros

PS. No I will not post anything in the wish-list. There are a lot of
sources for improving AC out there. Each 3d/AEC etc application has
it's strong points. GS have a look around!
Karl, thank you for your good words, and a great idea ! (about the upgrade)
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Talking about V9 is not going to change of course V9.
But what is the point to talk about V10.
There are hundrends of wishes already in this forum.
The were not considered. So why repeat.
And 2 years from now its a long time. So.....

THE ONLY HOPE is that competition (revit) will press GS, because i have a feeling that they are counting only on new customers, and not pleasing old ones.

And i will scream once more about strairmaker. That the biggest proof we just wish in vain. THE MOST wished change for V9 was simply ignored.
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
OK, I've updated my web site to indicate some of the wishes that are coming in AC9 - that have been outlines above.

There's still a hell of a long way to go though. I do think AC9 is a good update but it tend to be the fluff. Like a new rendered. Yes, the fluff is good (ok, maybe using the wrong word here) but the fundamentals are more important in my mind. AC9 is on it way.

Oh, the web site is: http://archicadideas.com

Yes, I'm very geeky that I registered a domain for it. But it's fun
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager