Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 9 is shipping in mid-September!

Bence Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Archi-Talkers,

We are happy to announce on ArchiCAD-Talk that ArchiCAD 9 will be released in September 2004. Shipment will start with the INT, US and GER versions followed by other localized language versions over the coming months. Based on the results of extensive beta testing we are confident that this version will be the most robust version of ArchiCAD ever. Please check www.graphisoft.com for the official press release on ArchiCAD 9! And... enjoy!

Bence Kovacs
Vice President

ArchiCAD Product Management
Graphisoft
174 REPLIES 174
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Good idea!

oreopoulos, now I really think that nobody will misunderstand you once again (at least I hope ).

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Oreopoulos, I feel your pain. I really do. However, you should have realized (like me) by now, that agitating for improvement and sometimes pointing out shortcomings in general ( The Emperor is naked!!!) in certain company, is nothing short of banging your head against a brick wall. Particulalarly when as someone else mentioned before, everyone else seems blissfully content with status quo, (despite the frightening pace of improvements in other BIM solutions), and you seem to be the only one (and you are not , believe me, despite what they may want you to think) who thinks that what we have can be better. And also when the likes of KeesW and ThomasH stoop to what you rightly regarded as 'sad' and sadly 'personal' reponses to your arguments (unlike you, I don't see anything polite about "Please stop your wailing unless you have something NEW to add!", but maybe that's because I'm also 'wailing' myself so I wouldn't really know )

It's rather unfortunate that, much like the world around us, to point out shortcomings and sometimes what is just not right, is to invite wanton attack and the heavy hand of conformity slapping you into submission and to accept the panglossian bliss of status quo. I however think you should still keep talking, and keeping 'wailing' for as long as you are able to, Oreopoulos, otherwise ArchiCAD will indeed get stuck in neutral. One of the reasons I stopped posting is because I realized from the wishlists that a lot of the priority really was placed on productivity and effeciency refinements as opposed to new features (funny, .....I always thought that a simple feature such as the ability to rotate an object in 3D without the help of GDL in and of itself, was or would be a surefire productivity improvement particularly when you don't have to 'fake' the effect afterwards and spend even more time doing that. But what do I know, really?). All this, of course translates as; most people really are happy with what they have vis-a-vis AC8.1 and Graphisoft will respond ( and rightly so) only to where there is greatest pressure to improve. So no new features until Scott or some other lurker comes along with a fancy new and simple way of doing something in Revit that would take 10 or more workarounds in ArchiCAD. I believe those already exist anyway

So unless Graphisoft has changed their policy to allow only positive, flattering, rosy, exalting posts as criticisms of their products and services, I think you should still keep posting as much as you feel you need to be heard. I also commend the fact that you have not resorted to personal and pathetic responses of the kind of KeesW and ThomasH, and would urge you to keep refraining from them, and if anything just ignore them.

Another (fellow)'Wailer'
(hey Bob Marley would approve, no? )

PS. If all else fails, learn GDL , that's the GS way after all. Have a flat tire? Learn GDL. Having a bad hair day? Learn GDL. Trouble with the Bills? Learn GDL ..... ok I'll stop now
__archiben
Booster
oreopoulos wrote:
I have a suggestion.
Devide our needs in categories.
Like Building tools, Annotating tools, Customising tools, Interface tools, Calculation tools.. and so on.
that's a good idea, but remember: sometimes the groundwork needs to be done in some specific areas to pave the way for other features to come along later . . .
I am trying to be constructive but some think i am trying to offend there child and they are way to wrong.
no problem. as an AC9 user i was trying to balance the argument a bit - it's not all bad!! but there is, of course, room for improvement in everything.

have you begun other topics in the 'wishes' section of the forum addressing the particular things you'd like to see in the next version? i think this particular discussion is pretty much exhausted now - and i think that some of the things you have been talking about here are quite valuable. but if you're not careful (we're 15 or 16 pages in now!) it will all get lost . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
Ladies and gentlemen,

Every criticism that aspires to be constructive has also to be put forward in a non-offensive way. Also without whining. And, needless to say, no personal offence is allowed on the list.

I have intentionally left the discussion to develop, sorry, deteriorate. Why?

Because this shows our passion for the software. If you care, you will get personal and you will spew fire and brime!

May I please point out the even longer topic in the Wishlist forum that is titled aptly What do we want in ArchiCAD 10? THERE is the place to vent all your frustrations with 9.

9 is the proof that the times at Graphisoft are changing, and that the voice of the users is the main navigator. But, as always - let us be PROFESSIONAL and ARTICULATE in expressing our needs. Good or bad English is not a point at all - heck, my Hungarian is much worse 😉 - it is the message that you put forward.

Those who reside on this and previous lists remember very well the famous AA, fortunately still with us here, whose almost always valid objections and good proposals got misunderstood because of the way they were put forward.

On the other hand, take the proposals of Matthew Lohden, that even more dissect the current failings in mercilessly precise way, BUT also give options and possible directions for the future.

Use the Wishlist. It is continuosuly monitored by dedicated staff. That is the way that your voice will be heard, on features, directions, pricing, or anything else that bothers you.

Because you care.

Let us make sure that our years of investment in the working methods with ArchiCAD come to fruition always, as WE direct the development of 10 and beyond! The time is NOW!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje

Let me suggest smthg.
The current state of the wish list is a bit of a chaos.
A linear list of wishes repeating beacuse its difficult to check if its is present already.
As we all know organisation is a productivity tool (yes.. productivity is the most popular word of this topic )
So here is my proposal

Organize the wish list creating Master topics.. and subtopics.
E.g
Master topis...
1) Build tools
2) Interaface changes
3) Export - import tools
and refine as follows.

1a) Walls
1b) Slabs
1c) Roofs
1d) Windows & doors

Of course before creating a structure like that opinions from members and proposals must be made.
After the structure is agreed, we simply start wishing again.
But this time finding wishes is much easier and faster and not a long unordered list.

Waiting for your comment
Djordje
Ace
oreopoulos wrote:
The current state of the wish list is a bit of a chaos.
A linear list of wishes repeating beacuse its difficult to check if its is present already.
I agree; subtopics would help in the organization and the productivity!

I will forward your proposal to the powers that be ...

Thanks for the good proposal!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
KeesW
Advocate
Sorry Djordje, I just forgot myself for a moment. I'll stay off the list until the discussion has settled back to the usual positive discussions and criticisms. In the meantime, I'll try to get at look at version 9.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Bence Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
everyone else seems blissfully content with status quo
Let me assure you: we, in Graphisoft are NOT (and never will be). We can hear you loud and clear (even if you do not shout ) and will continue to do our best to improve the software and stay ahead of the competition. We can do this only with your help. So please, keep talking.

As Djordje said: see you in the "Wish" section!

Bence Kovacs
VP, Product Management
Dwight
Newcomer
But in criticism, it is much more effective if one avoids sounding like a whiner.

So much of the criticism I've seen here is written from a place of anger, and in many cases, the complainer doesn't understand his software or his complaint is remedied by one extra step using lateral thinking.

But of course, that would be a dreaded "workaround." And we all hate those.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
But in criticism, it is much more effective if one avoids sounding like a whiner.

So much of the criticism I've seen here is written from a place of anger, and in many cases, the complainer doesn't understand his software or his complaint is remedied by one extra step using lateral thinking.

But of course, that would be a dreaded "workaround." And we all hate those.
Dwight

As the main whiner let me say that i do understand that it is a step forward.
I am whinning because it is just not big enough, maybe not fast enough and my main complain not balanced enough.

Thats enough with whinning.. lets get back to work