cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Architects: Revit or Archicad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
HII
Just gauging the popularity and usage of both Revit and ArchiCad in the industry. The school I'm in teaches and forces us to ArchiCad it in some of our works, which is odd considering that a majority of studios in our country uses solely Revit.

Is there something that ArchiCad that Revit does not offer? And the other way around?
75 REPLIES 75
jl_lt
Ace
This is Interesting because everyone has their own needs. About revit, at first i was atracted by it's parametric promise, but then i could never get used to the possibility that the software moves things on its own, the infinite amount of warnings or that the model can become unmanageable with too many constrains (without mentioning it's overall clunkiness). Call me old school, but I would rather move things manually but know for sure they would stay there.

In revit one small checkbox inside three submenus can mess everything.

I must say i never became an advanced revit user; maybe with a little bit more practice i could have overcome this things, but man did i find it unfriendly. On the other hand, temporary dimensions are absolutely great.

Meanwhile, something strange happenned to me with archicad: it cost me a little bit at the beggining, but after some time i began finding everything i needed without even knowing where it was, like it was magically laid out for me. Also at first i was also annoyed at the aparent small lag with selection until i began to realize i was modeling maybe five times faster or more than i could when modeling in Autocad3d or revit.

But other people might have the oposite opinion depending on the type and scale of projects they do and the computer they have.
JohnJay
Expert
jl_lt wrote:
Also at first i was also annoyed at the aparent small lag with selection

I've only ever used AC13, 20, 23 and now 24.

13 and 20 were always pretty instant for me in terms of selecting, openGL, updating views, editing, drawing out objects and so on.

23 Solo (but I tested the trial which is full AC and it was the same) has been a bit laggy for me, and it was a bit disappointing as it's the first version I'm using as a freelancer. However in the few days I've been using 24 it seems much more instant, almost like 20. Hope I get used to the Stairs and Rail tools though as right now I swear a lot when using them and wish the old, more basic but simple to use equivalents were still accessible.
AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
Brett Brown
Advocate
JohnJay, you can always do your stairs in AC 20, convert to a Morph, select Morph and save as an object.
put in future AC library whatever version, place it as an object. If you want to edit it convert back into a Morph. Works for me and takes a few minutes
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
JohnJay
Expert
Brett wrote:
JohnJay, you can always do your stairs in AC 20, convert to a Morph, select Morph and save as an object.
put in future AC library whatever version, place it as an object. If you want to edit it convert back into a Morph. Works for me and takes a few minutes

How does that work when you need to change f.e. the height or width of the stair? Wouldn't you have to change each step individually?

TBH I need to put some time into learning the new (to me) tools properly and am hoping that once I do that I'll be able to model whatever I need as quickly as I can using the older versions of the tools.
AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
Ahmed_K
Advisor
If you learn the stair tool CORRECTLY, tou'll achieve every shape you want, it's a very intuitive tool,
2 days of full practice will help you to master it, First try to understand how it works, how nodes works, how segments works, then try to combine, node and segments settings in various situations, strart from basic to advanced, the same for railing tool
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 27
Windows 11 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Barry Kelly
If you want to start talking specifically about the stair and railing tools, it is probably best to go to an existing discussion or start a new topic in 'Working in Archicad', as this is starting to go off topic from the original post.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
KrisM wrote:
I personally like the interface of Revit [...]
Shortcuts - Revit has a different system - two keys for everything. While I initially found this odd, this has turned out to be my favourite method. [...]
Revit attaches things which you may not want to happen and if you are not being very careful, objects move around without you knowing. [...]
This is hilarious. I personally hate Revit`s interface and I hate its two keys shortcuts, but I love ... elements dependency (I think it is called constrains and alignment in Revit). Personal choices might be so different. We probably could make a whole list of functionalities you like and I hate in both programmes and other way round.

Good that we have two equal competitors and that give us a real choice. I am wondering if Vectorworks might soon become a serious competitor in the game. Or maybe any other promising software on a horizon...
Here's some insight from larger firms: https://www.archpaper.com/2020/07/leading-architecture-firms-pen-open-letter-to-autodesk/
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Another article from AECMAGAZINE about that open letter plus a link to the letter:

https://www.aecmag.com/comment-mainmenu-36/2046-autodesk-aec-customers-demand-better-value
AC24 4018 INT, Win10, Quadro P2000, Xeon, BIMCloud
David Shorter
Advisor
there are a couple a basic advantages using Archicad
1 Mutli Processor architecture in Archicad (Revit is basically a single processor and requires a rewrite to access multi core processors
2 The BIMcloud (bimserver) BIMcloud basic is a free part of Archicad and allows multiple users to work concurrently from anywhere with minimal setup. Be working in the office over LAN (close the laptop got to home or site with an average internet connection ) open the laptop and continue working accessing the live model directly. Even a small studio find this a game changer. This is established (GRAPHISOFT) technology which has been around since 2013.
3 Built in Photorender + export to many more
4 Built in Parametric Object scripting (GDL) if you like that sort of thing (very powerful)
5 and lots more
Archicad 4.1 to 28 Tech Preview. Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone