cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Automatic No-Fill in objects, is it possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to set a preference for bathtubs, sinks, washer/dryer, etc., so they don't have a fill automatically each time you select this type of object?

Object>Object Library 10>15 Mechanical 10>Bathroom Fixtures.
Also for objects in '15 Mechanical 10' folder; and, 14 Conveying Systems 10; 13 Special Construction 10...and any other objects. Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18
Dwight
Newcomer
I'n with you on the aggravation of stupid default fills.

Assuming that you are working from a library "Container" that preserves the Default settings for elements, the answer is "No."

But you can save the changed setting for a given element by saving it with a new name in a special folder.

File>Libraries and Objects> Seave Selection As…
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Dwight,

So I'd have to go through each individual library part and do a 'Save Selection As...' I wonder if a script could expedite this. It is definitely a nuisance especially when one changes the fixture or has a variety of bathrooms and kitchens to deal with, project after project.

Who really wants fills on objects anyway and why has Graphisoft picked a specific one for us? I hope they change it to a generic 'empty fill' in the future. Topic for a poll?
Dwight
Newcomer
Perhaps you can change the appearance of the scripted fill to "empty"?

Is it the same fill every time?

It risks messing up exported files.... ?? not sure of consequence.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
It appears to be the same fill each time.

To check what fill is being used:
Object (double click tool) and select bathtub: Parameters > Plan Symbol > Background fill type > solid + dot&dashed

SOLUTION (?):
Options > Element Attributes > Fill Types > solid + dot&dashed.
Change the 'Vectorial hatching' > Spacing: to 500 in both directions.

I can't see anyway of changing this fill to an empty 'fill' or duplicating the existing 'empty fill' (which doesn't appear on the list) and changing its name to match the above name (and deleting the original real dot&dashed fill). Although the above solution is crude, it seems to work relatively well. I'll just have to make one change per project and thus avoid making individual changes for each object I use. Thanks for the help.
Thomas Holm
Booster
My problem is usually the background fill - with the pensets I use, Graphisoft's standard pen for background fills usually turn out light pink.

The easiiest workaround to get rid of that fil is to change that pen number to transparent in the penset. This works globally for all projuects that use the penset.

And you have to remember the same trick in every penset used, for example if you have a grey "ghost" penset to use in certain layouts, etc.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
David Shorter
Advisor
Best you always used to use pen 91 Thomas....
Archicad 4.1 to 28 Tech Preview. Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Thomas Holm
Booster
David wrote:
Best you always used to use pen 91 Thomas....
If it were that simple...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
David Shorter
Advisor
Guys, I don't know what the standards were with other local versions but with the Aus version the default white pen has for years been pen 91 and this was reflected in ALL the aussie objects in all the libraries up to 10. In 10 the default white pen was 19 (91 was pink). In order to maintain compatability with previous library versions the aussie version default white was changed back to 91 for all objects in the library.
Archicad 4.1 to 28 Tech Preview. Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
DrawingStudio wrote:
So I'd have to go through each individual library part and do a 'Save Selection As...'
No, you need to open each part in the library editor, change the default, and resave with a new name.
Who really wants fills on objects anyway and why has Graphisoft picked a specific one for us?
The problem is that the parts are looking for their cover fill by index number. It is quite common for these numbers to get jumbled and the wrong pattern comes up in the library parts. The simplest fix is to determine the index number of the fill that is being used and use Attribute Manager to replace it with the correct one. It is probably fill #85 "Empty Fill" that you need. If you are using the fill that is being replaced for other things you can reinstall it at with different index and the same name. Attribute Manager can be a little tricky (and frustrating at times) so practice on a copy of the project until your comfortable with it.
I hope they change it to a generic 'empty fill' in the future. Topic for a poll?
There have been many requests along the line. Something definitely needs to be done to fix this problem in particular and the index number problems in general.