cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Black Background

Anonymous
Not applicable
does anyone know how to change the background colour of the display from white to black. thanks.
31 REPLIES 31
(Anyone who has been to one of my seminars knows my whole spiel on this.)
Matthew,
Could you share a little more about your pens spiel?
I know of several large firms that have their pens set up like that but I never learned enough about it to like it.
I made up my own pen setting which work great for me but I may like your settings better if I under stood it better, and I would like to become more professional in the way I do things.
I have my pens set up by color in horizontal rows top to bottom. Each virtical row has a pen weight that corrisponds to its pen number. pen 1 is .1mm, pen 2 is .2mm, pen 3 is .3mm and so on up to 10.
That way I have the choice of any pen size with any color and I always know by the last digit of the pen number what the size is..pen 102 would be .2mm, pen 34 would be .4mm and so on. It is very easy to set the pens up like this, just select all of the pens in a row and make them all the color of your choice. Select all of the pens in a column and give them a pen weight for that row. Row 1=.1mm, Row 2=.2mm...I use mm because it corresponds to the old Pentel stuff I used on mylar. I have no idea what size a .4 pt is.

I usualy have my background color set to that drafting-board-green color I have on my Mutoh or coffee with cream since I don't draw lines of that color very often. Also, sometimes for prelims I place a fill with a grid of 1'x1' behind the floor plans to provide the person reviewing them with a scale instead of a lot of dimensions which may be only approximate at this point... You can use a solid fill behind the intire drawing and cut some holes in it with the grids turned on so the grid will only show up in specifc locations instead of over the whole sheet.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

One Point is equal to 1/72 of an inch. Dates back to Gutenberg, I think. Or was that picas....
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5030 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
David Shorter
Advisor
Kevin wrote:
Sorry if I'm missing the point, but I would like to know in case I could be working more efficiently:

Why not work with a black background, why is this method counter-productive?

I would be very happy to be persuaded why white is the new black!
Kevin.. it mainly the issue of working in normal lighting conditions. A white screen background produces far less reflections than a black. Xerox in the late 70's as part of their work on the GUI found that the white (or offwhite) produced much less eye strain than black. (Xerox also invented the mouse). Apple developed this concept further.
After all we don't print on black paper with coloured lines so why work in that environment...
Archicad 4.1 to 28 Tech Preview. Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Djordje
Ace
Joseph wrote:
StuartJames wrote:
large cross-hair via menu/options/preferences/autocad-settings/display
Where is this OPTION? (Just to Try It)
Did you see the parrot sketch?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
And just in case you haven't seen the parrot sketch, made famous by Monty Python, a British comedy troupe from the seventies, the sketch is about a customer, having been sold a dead parrot, returns to the shop to complain.

The parrot is dead:
the autocad link is a joke..

Stuart is joking.

haha.
Dwight Atkinson
Aussie John
Newcomer
the only possible reason I can see to use a black background is if you like using yellow lines.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Dwight
Newcomer
For years I used dark,desaturated purple. Very restful.

Pastel lines. Pretty colors.

Not so serious, like black. Black sad.

White, redolent of "office clerk." Probably goes with "black ink." And your cornflower blue tie. Reprioritize: Make these your primary action items.

We all love the canary flimsy paper, thinking that Leonardo [the real one - Da Vinci, not poseur DiCaprio] worked with sepia ink on yellow paper, but that's because it was old and faded.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Stuart to have a large crosshair as in most cad programs.
In AC, if you want to start a point on the right side of the window lining up with a point on the left side , you 'd have to option-click x (for horizontal) or option-click y (for vertical) . Then you have to move the dot from that point to the point you want to start the new point.
With crosshair, it's only a one click action.

But Stuart, I can't find the crosshair option in Option>Preference in AC9.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
But Stuart, I can't find the crosshair option in Option>Preference in AC9.
Ben;

IMHO, the crosshair is (would be) as useful as a dead parrot. ie, not.

It would appear that I am taken too seriously.

Either that or there is a serious opportunity here for Fabrizio?!

- Stuart

PS. As Dwight so rightly pointed out, there is no such option. Sorry for any misunderstanding. The guys at www.autodesk.com might be able to console you
Dwight
Newcomer
Twice.
Dwight Atkinson