Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License outage
Dear Customers, We are facing with an outage in our services in Azure. You may experience issues with the Azure-based functions, like licensing, BIMcloud SaaS, Learn Portal. We are working hard on this issue to make it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Buggy Intersection Priority?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have finally figured out the Layer Intersection Priority.....but why if I change a layer to "0" and I close (and save) the drawing it goes back to one again?

What I am trying to do is not have holes in my wall where a column is when I turn the column layer off....

Of course this same scenario is for a few other items as well, but the columns have been the most troublesome.

Oh....this is with 8.1 btw
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
MPatrick wrote:
Have finally figured out the Layer Intersection Priority.....but why if I change a layer to "0" and I close (and save) the drawing it goes back to one again?

What I am trying to do is not have holes in my wall where a column is when I turn the column layer off....

Of course this same scenario is for a few other items as well, but the columns have been the most troublesome.

Oh....this is with 8.1 btw
Hmmm.....nevermind......thats messed up, I have to update the priority level on every layer combination as well?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to guess what it is that you are really trying to accomplish here? As structural elements, I would expect that there would be few instances in which you would want to hide them.
You wrote:

What other types of items?

Thanks,

woodster
TomWaltz
Participant
Hmmm.....nevermind......thats messed up, I have to update the priority level on every layer combination as well? Sad
That's so you actually can control when and where items intersect.

For example: On an "existing conditions" plan, you want to show all the existing walls cleaning up with demo and existing to remain. You then want the same demo walls to NOT clean up with existing walls on the demo plan.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
woodster wrote:
I'm trying to guess what it is that you are really trying to accomplish here? As structural elements, I would expect that there would be few instances in which you would want to hide them.

Thanks,
woodster
Walls that are not used for actual walls, such as a shower door, or for the plywood in a roof system are a couple. I have also found that if I have a wall above a wall having a lower priority on that "hidden layer" does not cause conflicts with the walls below.

Tom, I will have to remember that the next time I do a remodel....that makes allot of sense.....
Anonymous
Not applicable
MPatrick wrote:
woodster wrote:

Walls that are not used for actual walls, such as a shower door, or for the plywood in a roof system are a couple. I have also found that if I have a wall above a wall having a lower priority on that "hidden layer" does not cause conflicts with the walls below.

While I always encourage users to "look beyond the name of a tool" for other uses, one must also be aware of possible problems that might be caused by, for example, putting a wall on top of a wall. One must think of how they will interact with each other.

There's a shower door in Section 9 of the library (Shower D Corner); you can turn off the sides. It pays to learn what's in the library.

Use thin roofs for plywood on a roof system, for example; they won't interact with your walls unless you ask them to do so. Or create a composite that gives you the detail you need without all of the extra work of adding a skin of plywood over another roof.

Hope this helps.

woodster
Anonymous
Not applicable
woodster wrote:
MPatrick wrote:
woodster wrote:

While I always encourage users to "look beyond the name of a tool" for other uses, one must also be aware of possible problems that might be caused by, for example, putting a wall on top of a wall. One must think of how they will interact with each other.

There's a shower door in Section 9 of the library (Shower D Corner); you can turn off the sides. It pays to learn what's in the library.

Use thin roofs for plywood on a roof system, for example; they won't interact with your walls unless you ask them to do so. Or create a composite that gives you the detail you need without all of the extra work of adding a skin of plywood over another roof.

Hope this helps.

woodster
Knew about the shower door in the library.... using the custom shower door was for the architect I work with....I try to stick with the objects as much as I can...

As for the walls being used in a roof system, I am talking about vertical plywood. Kinda hard to use a roof at a 90 degree angle.....tried, it wont go that steep. So I only have a wall or beam that can trim to the plywood roof that I had already created. When I get to the office tonight I will post a pic so you can see what I am talking about.... problem about using a beam or wall is that it intersects with what is below.
Anonymous
Not applicable
MPatrick wrote:
As for the walls being used in a roof system, I am talking about vertical plywood. Kinda hard to use a roof at a 90 degree angle.....tried, it wont go that steep. So I only have a wall or beam that can trim to the plywood roof that I had already created. When I get to the office tonight I will post a pic so you can see what I am talking about.... problem about using a beam or wall is that it intersects with what is below.
Use a slab. or set the roof to 89.99 degrees... you're right, a picture would help.

woodster