Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Cant create an Oval Staircase in AC21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys,
Anyone know how to create an oval staircase? Ive tried everything including the magic wand, any tips?

Thanks,
Cain

https://imgur.com/a/kBrKY1w
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
The only way I can get it to work is to not use an ellipse.
Stairs seem to only like a constant radius for the curves.

So can you re-create the ellipse with 3 arcs instead?
It will create a node at each of the arc end points.
You will need all of these stair nodes to be 'winders' with equal goings.
You might have to turn some of the rules off for things like max going length and max 2R+G so the stair fits the length of the arcs.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Solution
Barry Kelly
The only way I can get it to work is to not use an ellipse.
Stairs seem to only like a constant radius for the curves.

So can you re-create the ellipse with 3 arcs instead?
It will create a node at each of the arc end points.
You will need all of these stair nodes to be 'winders' with equal goings.
You might have to turn some of the rules off for things like max going length and max 2R+G so the stair fits the length of the arcs.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry I will try this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys,

I thought I would give this a bump.

Im still unable the get the exact tread layout as per picture?

I can edit the stair treads to shape, however I lose the formation of the stringers(to shape with treads) and the function of the stair (becomes an object).

Thanks,
Cain
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update:

AC21 cannot do the elliptical shape i required, neither could Revit, ended up using Autocad and Sketchup.
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Archicad makes some silly things at stringers by complex stairs. But there are other things that can be done about this: Use Profiles and Morphs. (Also maybe helpful - the use of the railingtool with the profilemanager.)

a try to get it working:

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
whatwaitnow wrote:
Update:

AC21 cannot do the elliptical shape i required, neither could Revit, ended up using Autocad and Sketchup.
Is it mandatory that you use the Stair Tool? Otherwise, any stair can be modeled with ArchiCAD exactly how you need it to be. You do not need to use any other programs.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmooslechner wrote:
Archicad makes some silly things at stringers by complex stairs. But there are other things that can be done about this: Use Profiles and Morphs. (Also maybe helpful - the use of the railingtool with the profilemanager.)

a try to get it working:

I could do an oval shape, just not the specific oval shape required for compliance and ascetics.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
whatwaitnow wrote:
Update:

Is it mandatory that you use the Stair Tool? Otherwise, any stair can be modeled with ArchiCAD exactly how you need it to be. You do not need to use any other programs.
Yeah much preferred to use the stair tool, so i could make small changes, ie, risers, widths without redoing the whole structure.
I understand. The Stair Tool is great for easily adjustable approximations, and sometimes that's all you need.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25