BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Commercial projects from residential

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've done some searches but couldn't find anything on this.

I'm currently doing all residential additions and renovations and want to get into commercial. I have commercial experience prior on autocad about 5 years ago. I'm just wondering about how ArchiCad works with the industry in the commercial world.

Has any one made this jump recently ?

Are there any potential issues to think about in advance ?

Any huge conflicts with consultants ? Did you have to redo a template file to have more commercial layering system ?

Do I need autocad in the office just to work with consultants ? (seems redundant but I'm just asking)

Is it not as different as I might think ?

I'm planning on submitting for some RFP's to get the projects, and I want to prep the office in advance as much as I can. I was thinking of redoing a new template for the commercial projects, new layers, maybe some new favorites with commercial windows and doors.
11 REPLIES 11
Djordje
Ace
laszlonagy wrote:
Peter,
Would you mind sharing your experiences about AC12 Curtain Walls for storefronts? I am sure Graphisoft would be much interested in hearing it. AC12 just came out so I guess this is a good time to give fast feedback so they can consider them for future version, and who know, they may enhance the Curtain Wall Tool in the future.
1. Does not punch a hole in the wall (is not a window/door)

2. Too complicated to set up for a double glazed door with two sidelights and one transom

You don't start a power saw to cut a paper in half. Scissors are usually enough.

I had extensive discussions with the Powers that be during the Beta testing and could not believe the final decision to completely remove the storefronts from the library.

Maybe they will listen to you?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter,
Would you mind sharing your experiences about AC12 Curtain Walls for storefronts? I am sure Graphisoft would be much interested in hearing it. AC12 just came out so I guess this is a good time to give fast feedback so they can consider them for future version, and who know, they may enhance the Curtain Wall Tool in the future.
In the US, the storefront system is often used as window in a wall system, so the curtain wall should be able to act like a window.
When I try to merge two curtain walls with the common frame tool, the common frame shows in 3D, but in 2D the two original frames are shown overlapped.
I have been unable to edit the overall length of the storefront once originally placed.
The doors do not allow for different hardware on inside vs. outside. Most doors in the US and Italy have different push/pull hardware.
In my work (small commercial) I do a lot of fast food restaurants with drive-through windows. Attached is a partial shot. I would like to be able to insert a custom window into the curtain wall.

I'm sure I'll come up with some more soon.
Learn and get certified!