Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile Outline Disappears

Anonymous
Not applicable
I edited the foundation wall complex profile in the complex profile manager. Afterwards, the outline of the foundation wall disappeared in my building sections - just the fill remains. What did I do wrong to make the outline disappear?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
okay, so I think I figured it out . . . . if there's a tiny tiny gap between the two fills, then the fill outline doesn't go to white.

Is that how it should work - you leave a little gap between fills in complex profiles?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Jacob wrote:
okay, so I think I figured it out . . . . if there's a tiny tiny gap between the two fills, then the fill outline doesn't go to white.

Is that how it should work - you leave a little gap between fills in complex profiles?
That was going to be my next suggestion actually. Typically in the Profile Editor, overlapping fills join to make one fill, even in the case of fills copied and pasted on top of each other.

However there are some odd cases such as this one and the one here, where the complex profile is not drawn correctly and it freaks out the section view of it. I would think this is a bug.

Anyway, looks like you've found the solution now.

Sorry troakie if you lost any information. My mistake - I should have tested that first, or suggested a cut instead of a delete.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

thanks for your help!
Karl Ottenstein
Jacob wrote:
No. Only leave a gap if there is supposed to be a physical air space in the extrusion. Leaving 'tiny' gaps results in increased polygons, slowing down the model, and inaccurate component schedules.

To prevent fills from merging, and to maintain fill linework, you must use different fill names. If you want the same fill appearance, as in a footing and stem wall, you need to duplicate one of the fills and give it a new name. Having a unique name is enough to cause the fills to not merge and the lines between them to show...and all without any additional 3D polygon creation. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry troakie if you lost any information. My mistake - I should have tested that first, or suggested a cut instead of a delete.

Cheers,
Link.

Not a problem - was just pointing this out for others benefit, it's very easy to inadvertently lose work with this 'feature'!