Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Connecting beams on angles

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gidday fellas

I was just wondering if there was a solution to my problem...basically I have 2 beams joining together but they are not at 90 degrees to eachother...is there a way to adjust a section of the column so it fits snug? ***LOOK AT PICTURE*** I hope it works!

Cheers,

Nuggy

problem.png

11 REPLIES 11
Gerald Hoffman
Advocate
Nuggy,

I am assuming the reference line for the beam is in the center. It should join up if you stretch the center line of the one beam to the center line of the other one.
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-6000 USA
2019 MacBook Pro-macOS 15.0 (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Barry Kelly
Gerald wrote:
Nuggy,

I am assuming the reference line for the beam is in the center. It should join up if you stretch the center line of the one beam to the center line of the other one.
Not if the beam is an object which this appears to be.

If it is an object there may be a parameter to angle the end.
If no parameter then you will need to learn a little GDL to add the feature yourself.

Or hunt around to find a new object that does have end angles.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
__archiben
Booster
Gerald wrote:
they're objects, so this won't work at all

you need to turn on the 'cutting planes' in the object's parameters settings. it's a bit fiddly to start, but once you get the hang of it you can build well behaved steel structures quite quickly . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, fellas

First things first...it is NOT AN OBJECT... lol JUST JOKING... yeah it's an object... I think I was using a UB out of AC9...I've got the Australian Essential addon and found a UB in there where you can do all sorts of goodies to it...thanks again, Ben... I just changed beams and it's all good... here's the proper solution.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers,

Andrew
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here it is!

problem.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry...in the new beam I am using it has two "end cut" functions..one for one end.....and yep you guessed...one for the other!

Cheers,

Andrew
Djordje
Virtuoso
Nuggy wrote:
...in the new beam I am using it has two "end cut" functions..one for one end.....and yep you guessed...one for the other!
Just to make sure ... the centerlines of both the beams should intersect at the column center, right?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
__archiben
Booster
Djordje wrote:
Just to make sure ... the centerlines of both the beams should intersect at the column center, right?
why? we have to give engineers some ammunition, right?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Virtuoso
~/archiben wrote:
Djordje wrote:
why? we have to give engineers some ammunition, right?
No we don't ...

They invent enough anyway.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen