Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating a fill with Oval

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I"m trying to create a fill (for OBJECTiVE profile) using a modified circle, which makes the shape slightly oval.

When I space-click with the fill tool, the fill reverts to the original circle, not the modified oval and using the pet pallet tools don't work.

Any ideas how I can do this please?

cad.png
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Is there any chance that your Grid Snap is turned ON in the Floor Plan Viewpoint? It is a Viewpoint-specific setting so it may not be turned on in the Section Viewpoint and what you want to do works, but it is tuned ON in the Floor Plan Viewpoint and it does not work there.
I've tried that too, still nothing!

I've linked to the file - the area that needs a fill is the one with the lines in-between the two oval. The ovals are very small - 23mm so if anyone gives this a go, zoom in a lot!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rcirl75ygu2pnb/Oval_fill.pln

Thank you
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There must be something wrong with that file, I downloaded it and it is only 45 KB. even when all Layouts, Publisher Set, Section, attirbutes etc. are purged from the file it still should be around a 1 MB or something.
Can you try to put it on Dropbox again?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is so frustrating! Using the slab tool doesn't work either
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Tool will not make a difference because all Tools that can create polygonal shapes use the same code parts within the program to do it. So if it doesn't work for Fills, it will probably not work for Slabs, Roof etc. either.

This just might be a quirk in your Project file since it works fine in a new file as you said.
I would not waster any more time with it, just do it the way you can and mover forward.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
The Tool will not make a difference because all Tools that can create polygonal shapes use the same code parts within the program to do it. So if it doesn't work for Fills, it will probably not work for Slabs, Roof etc. either.

This just might be a quirk in your Project file since it works fine in a new file as you said.
I would not waster any more time with it, just do it the way you can and mover forward.
Sorry, I should have reworded it... It doesn't work in a new file either.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So do it work anywhere?
In Elevations it does, in Floor Plan it doesn't?
maccad wrote:
I don't have any snaps on, or any trace references... It works in Elevations, but on any plans (stories) it doesn't work, very strange!
Actually, I checked your file (I managed to download it), and that is not a oval, it is actually an ellipse.
The main thing is that its axes are 50 and 52 millimeters. In that case a Deviation from Curves setting of 40 will have no effect.
Try a setting of 1 maybe.
Or try to use the Linear Segments option of the right and set Segments Along Circles with a setting of 8 (or 12 or 16). This will create an octagon (or 12-edged or 16-edged polygon, respectively). Then use the Curve Edge command of the Pet Palette to curve the edges of the resulting octagon shape to approximate the ellipse.

The basic problem here is that an Ellipse is a different geometry than an arc. Polygonal type elements can have their segments either lines or arcs, but not ellipses. This is why ArchiCAD has a hard time approximating your Ellipse.

The other problem is that an Ellipse is made of basically one continuous curve with no segments. When you try to convert it into a polygonal shape, the closest ArchiCAD can do is to create two curved segments. But those two curved segments will be arcs, not half ellipses. Therefore there will always be a difference between their geometries. You can only approximate the ellipse with arcs. This is why I suggested the octagon solution, then curving its edges that way you can very closely approximate the ellipse with arcs.