Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curtain Wall and Timber Frame construction

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm creating a timber frame building, of which will have curtain wall. How can I do it so that when I create a window the columns that make the wall joists cut to the window as the window is complex ( in terms of shape ). I've tried the SEO but no matter how I set it up, the columns just don't cut.

Thank You
23 REPLIES 23
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I would really like to show the structure ( timber construction ), however in 3D with the windows only
Try modelling the timber framing with OBJECTiVE - it comes with a full compliment of timber and steel objects, and the timber objects can show a single/double line when cut in cross-section. You can place timber objects directly into your elevation views too, cutting and rotating as required (see an example here). You've used OBJECTiVE for modelling other objects so you should have it installed and be somewhat familiar with its tools.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
I would really like to show the structure ( timber construction ), however in 3D with the windows only
Try modelling the timber framing with OBJECTiVE - it comes with a full compliment of timber and steel objects, and the timber objects can show a single/double line when cut in cross-section. You can place timber objects directly into your elevation views too, cutting and rotating as required (see an example here). You've used OBJECTiVE for modelling other objects so you should have it installed and be somewhat familiar with its tools.
What would happen if I placed a custom window in plan ? Would the timber frame cut, just as a wall would ?

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
What would happen if I placed a custom window in plan ? Would the timber frame cut, just as a wall would ?
No - ArchiCAD only allows windows to be placed in walls unfortunately. If you want windows to appear in an object model, I would place them within a wall just big enough to bound the window so the window appears to be independent. Then you can place it wherever you like.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
Structural members are never cut by doors or windows. An occasional hole for pipes or wiring is OK but otherwise the structure is inviolable. If you use the wall tool for partitions and sheer panels (exterior skins) then doors and windows can be easily placed in these.