Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved window

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, can someone please advice how to make a curved window (straight in plan), I've attached a drawing to show what I'm trying to do. It doesn't have to be very detailed - basically just glass in a frame - which tools can I use? If I drew it on a plan and used slab to create it - would I be able to change it's position to fix in in a wall? Or is there a better way?
Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Use a tool you can extrude. Slab or (poly)wall comes to mind.

I would not bother with making it an actual window if it is just conceptual work.

The perks of using a wall would be a boundary for zoning, allthough you can use a polyline as zonebarrier too.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, I tried to draw a shape I need in section and then make a wall out of it using magic want tool, but by some reason, I couldn't do it. What could I possibly be doing wrong?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Make sure you pick the polygonal construction method (we call it the Pacman symbol in our office 😉).
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to do it again now, using a polygonal construction method. But when I use magic wand nothing happens, it doesn't create a wall. I am missing something, can't figure out what exactly.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If I have a fill in floorplan view and I use magic wand (hold down space bar, the mouse cursor will change to magic wand) and click the edge of the fill (the magicwand cursor now shows the polygon pacman) with the wall tool active, it works for me.

If you are trying to draw walls in the a section view, that won't work. You can only draw walls in floorplan and 3d view.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, it works on a plan but not in section. I could create the shape I need on a plan, but how can I then Change it's position, so I could put it in a wall?
Thanks so much for your help and time!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Is it a window in a curved wall or a curved shape in a straight wall? I was under the impression it is a window in a curved wall. If it's the latter, here is a reference: http://www.archicadwiki.com/CustomShapeDoorWindow

Former I would just stack bits of wall or slab to create the shape you are going for.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you! It's a curved shape (still straight in plan) in a straight wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is I can not create a desired shape wall.