Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Cutting a composite wall with boolean

gdford
Advisor
When you cut a composite wall a boolean operation, in the areas where the cut has been cut you can no longer see the composition of the wall. Is there any way to turn this feature off so you can see the composition of the wall as defined in the wall composite editor in the areas where the wall has been subtracted?
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions on this matter!

Using Solid Element Operation, the surface of the wall's cut part can only be one surface. This cut part won't be able to show the skins of the composite wall. It is a known limitation of SEO.

Fortunately, we have some other methods to make a cut on the wall:

- Using Priority-Based Intersection: this can be done by controlling the strength of the Building Materials. Stronger materials will cut through the weaker ones, leaving the cut materials exposed.

- Using the Opening tool: the Opening tool is very similar to SEO, but you won't lose the composite skins at the cut surface.

I hope this explains the situation. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this may be a bug.
Which Surface is applied to those Surfaces should be controlled by the "New Target Surfaces" field in the SEO Palette.

When the "Inherit from Operator" option is used, the new Surfaces created on the Target Wall correctly assume the Surface of the Operator (right side of image)
When the "Use Own Attributes" option is used, New Target Surfaces will use the Surface set for "Edge Surface Override" even if the "Edge Surface Override" button is inactive (left side of image). There is no way to overrule this behavior. It seems like a bug to me. I will report this to GRAPHISOFT.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Lingwisyer
Guru
If your hole is rectangular, could you use the Opening Tool?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions on this matter!

Using Solid Element Operation, the surface of the wall's cut part can only be one surface. This cut part won't be able to show the skins of the composite wall. It is a known limitation of SEO.

Fortunately, we have some other methods to make a cut on the wall:

- Using Priority-Based Intersection: this can be done by controlling the strength of the Building Materials. Stronger materials will cut through the weaker ones, leaving the cut materials exposed.

- Using the Opening tool: the Opening tool is very similar to SEO, but you won't lose the composite skins at the cut surface.

I hope this explains the situation. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

gdford
Advisor
Thanks Minh - I should have thought of that!
I really appreciate the information.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000