Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Demo doors & Windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I place a door or window on a demo layer that I can turn off.

I need to turn them off and infill with new wall but can't figure out how to turn them off.

Thanks.....
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Virtuoso
Kurt wrote:

I need to turn them off and infill with new wall but can't figure out how to turn them off.

Thanks.....
You place them into a piece of a wall identical to the width of the door or the window.

All those questions have been asked and answered already. Please spend a week searching and reading, and then, if you don't find the answers, ask.

Yes, I know, you don't have a week, and the deadline was a week ago two weeks ago ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats what I've been doing. I also saw that as an answer previously. I just could not believe that this is really the best solution. I thought for sure someone would have come up with a patch or a better process.

I'll do more extensive research next time and assume that the answer given is truly the best process.

Do you think that there will be a better process for this in 12?

thanks
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Kurt wrote:

Kurt:

To remove an existing door or window from an existing wall, this is my approach:

1. Change the line type of the door/window to dashed.
2. Explode the door/window, it will become lines and arcs (grouped) and an empty opening.
3. Place a fill of the new wall type over the opening and Bring to Front (so it is on top of the wall in Display Order).
4. Select the lines and arcs and move to the Demo layer using the Edit Selection Set... command (so the lines and arcs get moved at once).
5. Select the empty opening and delete.

These do not need to be done individually, any number of doors or windows can be selected and the majority of these operations and be performed on them as a group.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David wrote:
Kurt wrote:

Kurt:

To remove an existing door or window from an existing wall, this is my approach:

1. Change the line type of the door/window to dashed.
2. Explode the door/window, it will become lines and arcs (grouped) and an empty opening.
3. Place a fill of the new wall type over the opening and Bring to Front (so it is on top of the wall in Display Order).
4. Select the lines and arcs and move to the Demo layer using the Edit Selection Set... command (so the lines and arcs get moved at once).
5. Select the empty opening and delete.

These do not need to be done individually, any number of doors or windows can be selected and the majority of these operations and be performed on them as a group.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
Yikes! I guess that's one way...
We just use a "dummy" 2D object for demo doors (attached) in existing walls to remain.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Laura wrote:
We just use a "dummy" 2D object for demo doors (attached) in existing walls to remain.
The method I described will work for any door or window. In my practice I deal with many different door types (swing, french, bi-fold, sliding, etc), with a variety of wall thicknesses and frame dimensions, the method I use picks all these up automatically. Also, I need to show the new construction, not just the demolition. I can see where a part like this could make sense in a more limited context.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
David wrote:
Laura wrote:
The method I described will work for any door or window. In my practice I deal with many different door types (swing, french, bi-fold, sliding, etc), with a variety of wall thicknesses and frame dimensions, the method I use picks all these up automatically. Also, I need to show the new construction, not just the demolition. I can see where a part like this could make sense in a more limited context.

David
Sorry, I go with option no. 1!

1. Draw complete as-built including all doors / windows
2. Cut walls at convenient location to send bit of wall and door to WALLS.REMOVED layer
3. Draw a NEW WALL (with all its appropriate attributes) over the empty space; presuming that you want to FILL in here.
4. Change attributes of door to HIDDEN /DASHED

I do this because then it becomes easy to show BEFORE and AFTER 3d views of the space.... in addition, I can produce plans showing 1/existing, 2/ demo and 3/ new construction AND I can schedule the OLD doors in; having them read as TO BE REMOVED
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop