Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

File size

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know what's the most file size consuming things to look for in a ArchiCad file.

Is it lots of imported PDF/DWG, large number of layers or other attributes, large number of views, massive amount of layout's or loads of modules ( as .mod or .pln)?

I'm asking because I need to reduce file size of a project and would like to know where to attack.

PDF's and DWG's are gone and I'm about to clear the layer list from DWG-layers, anything else I could get rid off or slim down.

The file is a TW2 file @ 1.4 Gb (uncompressed I know) and it's causing a bit of problem for my user (slow loading, occasionally chrashing).

In short, what is the best way to reduce file size?
17 REPLIES 17
Nuge
Advocate
Lasse,
Publishing take very little time compared to linked views

Once you have "published' your pmk files and linked them all thru there is no "update" time as the layout book looks directly at a particular PMK file if you update it the layout book automatically updates in seconds.

I find that "updating in seperate archicad" take so long when using large files (my model file takes approx 12mins to open) so all of the waiting time is eliminated.

You could have a person updating PMK files in the model and another user using the layout book file any changes made and re-published are automatically available.

This may be considered an "old method" but is the best system i have come across when using large files.

And like i said you can archive old PMK files so you have a full revision history if required.
AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lasse wrote:
I've been careful not to open the project on my 64-bit computer.
There should be no problem opening the file on a 64bit machine. The files are not changed and are fully compatible across Mac and Windows in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

The warning GS provides is just to remind you that by working in 64bit you can make the file too large and unmanageable to revert to using it on a 32bit machine.

Since you are tuning the file for performance on 32bit you naturally have to test it on that machine, but if it is quicker to make the changes on the better machine that should work just fine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
All,

Can I ask how you deal with your "marker references" when using pmk files?

We have a huge amount of Sections and Elevations that are referenced using "The first placed drawing of the viewpoint" in the selection settings. By publishing pmk files for use in separate file don't you lose the automation built in to the markers?

Thanks,
Anonymous
Not applicable
They should appear correct in the layout. You will not beable to tell what drawing ID and Layout the markers are in your model file. We are using this method on a troublesome project currently.
Porter Fuqua
Participant
Lasse wrote:
Does anyone know what's the most file size consuming things to look for in a ArchiCad file.

Is it lots of imported PDF/DWG, large number of layers or other attributes, large number of views, massive amount of layout's or loads of modules ( as .mod or .pln)?

I'm asking because I need to reduce file size of a project and would like to know where to attack.

PDF's and DWG's are gone and I'm about to clear the layer list from DWG-layers, anything else I could get rid off or slim down.

The file is a TW2 file @ 1.4 Gb (uncompressed I know) and it's causing a bit of problem for my user (slow loading, occasionally chrashing).

In short, what is the best way to reduce file size?

Same situation, but mostly our problems come when we need to load the file on another computer before a client meeting and it takes forever.

There is one TW project that we have now weighing in at a hefty 4545 MB.

I am about to start experimenting with the effects of the "store drawing in project file" option. See this post: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=170029#170029

Does anyone know more about what this option does? Where do the drawings go if they are not stored in the project file? How is this effected by teamwork?

UPDATE: The same project 4545MB TW Project is only 770MB when saved as a PLN. Can someone explain the difference?

Thanks,
iMac - 2.93GHz Core i7, 4GB, OSX 10.6.7
ArchiCAD 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Are you using File compression?
In the Save Dialog, click the Options button to check it.
This 770 MB PLN sounds enormous to me.
If no compression is used and you check it it should go well below 200 MB.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Store Drawings in Project File option means the contents of the Drawing is stored in the file, increasing file size.
Otherwise it is read from the location given in its path.
If you don't move the Drawings then this is no problem.
But if you want to view the file on another computer that should also have access to the Drawing at the store file path. In a LAN this can be done by storing those drawings on a server.
If viewed in another office... that's a different story.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Linked files/drawings work in WAN too, if only have access to the server.

Regards, Juha