Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Filling space under stairs

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried with Fill Tool but got no results. I need to fill marked (with red line) space.

I tried to do something like trim to roof (trim to stairs ) and with SEO tools but neither gave me a result

hotel.jpg
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Can't see the red line in that picture, what exactly are you trying to do? fill the gap between the stairs and the floor?
Anonymous
Not applicable
The fill tool is 2D only and will not yield any results in the 3D window.

Use the SEO's.

1. Create a slab extending under the stair and walkway at the desired locations. You could even use the slab you've created for the walkway itself. (although in you're photo it appears to have 0 zero thickness)
2. Set the bottom of the slab to the top of the floor below.
3. Select the newly created slab as the 'Target' in the SEO dialog box.
4. Select the stair as the 'Operator' in the SEO Dialog box
5. Use 'Subtraction w/Upward Extrusion' method/option and Execute
Anonymous
Not applicable
The fill tool is 2D only and will not yield any results in the 3D window.

Use the SEO's.

1. Create a slab extending under the stair and walkway at the desired locations. You could even use the slab you've created for the walkway itself. (although in you're photo it appears to have 0 zero thickness)
2. Set the bottom of the slab to the top of the floor below.
3. Select the newly created slab as the 'Target' in the SEO dialog box.
4. Select the stair as the 'Operator' in the SEO Dialog box
5. Use 'Subtraction w/Upward Extrusion' method/option and Execute
Scrat wrote:
I tried with Fill Tool but got no results. I need to fill marked (with red line) space.

I tried to do something like trim to roof (trim to stairs ) and with SEO tools but neither gave me a result
Did you try to just draw a wall at the edge of the stair and sidewalk?

Place the bottom of it at the same level as the bottom of the stair.
Make sure it is taller than the sidewalk/landing and use SEO to trim it to the underside of your stair and sidewalk/landing.

Sidewalk and stair = Operators, Wall = target, Subtraction with upwards extrusion.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
...Make sure it is taller than the sidewalk/landing...
Personally I'd recommend only making the wall/slab the maximum height it needs to be - no more. In this case do it to the underside of the landing. You will end up with nodes floating around in unexpected places otherwise, which can be confusing/untidy.

Also if you make it too tall it will require one extra SEO from the landing itself to chop it down to the required height. SEOs slow things down so don't create unecessary work for the computer to deal with.

You only need to SEO with the stair.

Cheers,
Pete.
I thought the slab was set at 0" thick?
Anyway,
Where is the extra SEO? Do you mean oporators?
Could you tell me more about the slowdown with extra SEO's?
I did not know about this. I could use a lot less of them if it will help speed things up.

If it were a mesh you could slope those steps to let the water run off and it would be all one part.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where is the extra SEO? Do you mean oporators?

Could you tell me more about the slowdown with extra SEO's?

I did not know about this. I could use a lot less of them if it will help speed things up. I have been using lots of them.
Hi Steve,

In your previous post you recommended using both the sidewalk and stair as operators. What I'm suggesting is if you only make the wall the same height as the underside of the sidewalk (the raised landing) you don't need to use the sidewalk to trim it, therefore one less Solid Element Operation for the computer to remember. Ok, I appreciate this one instance wont make any noticable difference to the speed, but if you have several hundred unessessary SEOs all over the place I suspect things may begin to lag.

How many SEOs are too many in a project? I don't know. I expect there would have to be quite a number to seriously impact performance. It would also depend on your computer specs.

What I'm trying to say is it doesn't hurt to be tidy and efficient!

See here for example of slowdown:-

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=94521

Cheers,
Pete.

BTW- I don't think the landing is just a surface, the side facing us is textured the same as the wall behind
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
Did you try to just draw a wall at the edge of the stair and sidewalk?

Place the bottom of it at the same level as the bottom of the stair.
Make sure it is taller than the sidewalk/landing and use SEO to trim it to the underside of your stair and sidewalk/landing.

Sidewalk and stair = Operators, Wall = target, Subtraction with upwards extrusion.
This is correct (maybe there are more ways but I made it with this one )

Thank you all guys 🙂
Scrat,

I see that you love your job too.

I lover your Avitar!

Can you send me a link so I can see that building?