BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hatching

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a great feature in revit that allows you to add hatching to your walls etc in the materials dialogue that will show in elevation. In ArchiCAD, if I want to do the same I have to draw a fill patten manually over the wall in elevation to show brick lines etc. If I move a window, I have to go and manually change the fill.

Is there an easier way to do this?
12 REPLIES 12
__archiben
Booster
Andydob wrote:
Is there an easier way to do this?
yes! assign your fill (hatch) to the material - just like revit - when you create your sections/elevations be sure to to turn on the vectorial shading found under the 'model effects' of the sect/elev line tool settings . . .

same same, i guess!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using ArchiCAD for 5 years and didn't know that one, is it a recent new feature?

Thanks for the speedy response
TomWaltz
Participant
Archicad has this great feature that allows you to look obvious questions up in a book or online searchable help. You should try using it some time. It's really nice!!

Like the material hatches on modeled objects, that feature has been there for quite a long time.
Tom Waltz
Andydob wrote:
is it a recent new feature?
AC6.

Without singling anyone out, may I politely suggest to everyone who has never taken training, and who doesn't have a guru in their office, to find a way to take a day of one-on-one or one-on-a-few instruction, at whatever cost. Without it, it's the old problem of you don't know what you don't know.

I despair to hear of users doing easy things the hard way for so long.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
TomWaltz
Participant
Without singling anyone out, may I politely suggest to everyone who has never taken training, and who doesn't have a guru in their office, to find a way to take a day of one-on-one or one-on-a-few instruction, at whatever cost. Without it, it's the old problem of you don't know what you don't know.

I despair to hear of users doing easy things the hard way for so long.
It especially bugs me when they use it as a complaint about Archicad.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, no need to be nasty about it!

I did a beginners course on ArchiCAD 6 at university and taught myself the later versions. Architectural students dont have money to pay for training (in fact I was one of the only students to have a licensed student copy of ArchiCAD that cost enough when you are poor!) I have done some pretty complicated things in ArchiCAD - I think I am pretty damned good with it too.

I'm not complaining, just asking if there is a way to do something that seems easy in Revit. It seems that there is an easy way in ArchiCAD too.

I havent used ArchiCAD for a year since I left university, and have to use AutoCAD at work and am looking at Revit as I want to introduce my company to BIM products. There is no way they would be interested in ArchiCAD as there is no upgrade path from AutoCAD.
Rakela Raul
Participant
all companies, bentley, graphisoft and the like, have 'competition upgrades'....if you have their competition software they will give you a good break.......furthermore, if you dont like archicad, you can always re-sale it with license with a transfer fee and you wont waste much money,,,,unlike others
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Rick Thompson
Expert
Mr. wizard (archiben)... the issue I have had with that is with a surface fill you can set the orientation, but when working off the material assigned to a wall you can't make it corse out right. So, if you are working with something like concrete block it's a problem. Yesterday I was trying to figure out how many block to order and ended up placing the fill manually so the block actually started on top of the footing. It would be nice to be able to manipulate that. If you know a trick here I would appreciate knowing it.

thanks

ps.. as in the attached drawing
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
__archiben
Booster
Rick wrote:
It would be nice to be able to manipulate that. If you know a trick here I would appreciate knowing it.
rick

using the 'Align Texture' tools (Edit>Align Texture) sets the origin and direction for the internal engine vectorial hatching as well as the openGL textures . . .

HTH
~/archiWIZARD
abracadabra.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!