Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hidden surfaces

KeesW
Advocate
I think that I have requested this before, a long time ago. Why can't Archicad automatically, or optionally, show elements obscured by other elements in front of them as hidden lines. For example, in Sections, walls in front usually obscure walls behind. It would be useful if the outlines of these obscured walls or elements were shown in dashed lines. This could also apply to items of furniture, doors, windows or other things which benefit from being locatable behind the obscuring wall. How useful would it be if slabs over e.g. service trenches, would show the outline of these trenches as hidden lines?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
2 REPLIES 2
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
This would be awesome, along with abilty to stagger the marked distant area line. I am stitching together elevations for that one, whenever the need crops up.

I don't mind doing the 2d linework, but it all adds up in terms of time spent.

For furniture I sometimes use a transparant surface with a percentage fill with white pen on panels and bring them to front to make the linework of the shelves behind it appear greyed out, but dashed lines would be better.

Perhaps the graphical override offers a solution here, but that is still for the better part manual work.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
While I get the idea in terms of the ease of use, and that the ideal way would be to have yet another "distant area" control (otherwise how would AC know how far you want to show these projections), there are certain ways to get something similar in an automated fashion:

For sections and elevations you could create a marquee selection around the obscuring wall and the elements behind it that you want to show, open this marquee in 3D, use orthogonal projection and use "look to perpendicular of clicked surface" so you see straight to this wall like in the section/elevation; create a 3D document from this and use the "hidden edges" function. You'd need to change model display options so it leaves you with hidden edges. This way you can overlay this in sections/elevations and it'll update automatically should changes occur.

Best regards.