Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hiding fills or floors

KeesW
Advocate
Could I have a little rantlet?

I intensely dislike the way Archicad treats floor fills or floor finishes. I create a tiled floor, 10mm thick and lay it over a subfloor. I put some object on it, including a table, chairs, stove a 900 thick slab to simulate cupboards (this is a sketch drawing). Floor tiles show through table and chairs, but don't show through stove. Tiles also show through the simulated cupboard. Moving the tiles to the back doesn't work.

I am sure that there is a combination of settings that wil do what I want but I've forgotten what they are.

My needs are simple:
1. Consistent treatment of objects - I hate the way some objects are transparent and others aren't - almost at random.
2. A default that causes elements which are placed on top of other elements or finishes, to obscure these lower items.
3. If I want things to show through, this should be available as an option rather than the norm.
4. If AC insists on having non-logical defaults give me one place to change this - not a non-sensical and forgettable combination of places to make this happen.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
Your stove probably has an "Empty" fill with a backgound screen colour pen (-1) set.
Your table and chairs may not have an empty fill or it may not be set as "Empty" fill and/or the background pen colour is wrong (0 instead of -1).

Slabs have always been transparent but you do have an option for a cover fill - use either a solid fill with a white hatch pen or an empty fill with a screen colour background pen (-1).

You may still have to play with the display order - the slab will by default go behind any objects (ie the tiles).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
Could I have a little rantlet?
4. If AC insists on having non-logical defaults give me one place to change this - not a non-sensical and forgettable combination of places to make this happen.
I second that.