cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hotlink 'library' document for pasting tip

I am working on a project with lots of hotlinked modules (unit plans, panels, balconies, porches, etc.). So after a while I had come to hate Hotlink Manager.

Yesterday I realised I can import (once in the project lifetime) every project module into a 'library' PLN and, by keeping two copies of ArchiCAD open, quickly and easily (don't even need to remember their name!) look for them in that file and copy-paste them into my project as needed. The modules remain modules and behave exactly as if I had imported them using Hotlink Manager.

I am not sure if this is a super-tip or a classic I was not aware of. It changed my life and thought someone else might benefit also.
1 REPLY 1
Karl Ottenstein
Ignacio wrote:
Yesterday I realised I can import (once in the project lifetime) every project module into a 'library' PLN and, by keeping two copies of ArchiCAD open, quickly and easily (don't even need to remember their name!) look for them in that file and copy-paste them into my project as needed. The modules remain modules and behave exactly as if I had imported them using Hotlink Manager.

I am not sure if this is a super-tip or a classic I was not aware of. It changed my life and thought someone else might benefit also.
Thanks for a great tip, Ignacio. I confess that I've never needed to use hotlinked modules, but I didn't know that this would work. Very nice to be able to visually identify the modules and their content!

When we save our own modules, a thumbnail preview image is included so that just the file browser is pretty good to see what's in the module. But, I just noticed that if I look at all of the sample modules included in the US Modules 8 and US Modules 9 folders, they do NOT have preview images! But the modules in US Modules 7 do. Somehow, GS forgot to generate the previews in the last couple of versions. So, short of resaving each one with preview (until GS updates the files), your tip is essential for people who want to use these modules as starting points.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB