Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How does one stretch a line that intersects w/ another?

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I have 2 lines intersecting at one point and I decide to stretch one of the lines to a different location, I select the line I want and click on its node (which is also the node of the other line) in order to stretch it. Unfortunity the other line becomes selected while it deselects the line I wanted making stretching/editing impossible.

I have found that I have to either delete the line and start over or move it to a new location and stretch both ends to new locations. Is there an easier way (key board command or preference setting)? I remember that this wasn't a problem in AC 6.5.

I think this applies to walls too.
13 REPLIES 13
TomWaltz
Participant
When editing a point like that, it helps to select the tool of the element you are trying to edit in your Toolbox. I like to use the eyedropper to match the element type quickly.

Since you have the Arrow tool selected when you are doing this, Archicad gives selection priority over editing. If you have the Line Tool (or the Wall Tool) selected, Archicad would give priority to editing that element type and let you stretch the end of the line (or wall).
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's it. I was wondering what I was missing.

Option-Click on the line to get the line tool. Of course this means to get back to the arrow cursor you have to move back to the tool box, but at least there won't be the frustration I felt trying to make simple adjustments anymore...thnx for the help and quick response. Best.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious, why doesn't the arrow cursor work in this case? Is there another function that it does in this scenerio that I'm missing?
TomWaltz
Participant
DrawingStudio wrote:
That's it. I was wondering what I was missing.

Option-Click on the line to get the line tool. Of course this means to get back to the arrow cursor you have to move back to the tool box, but at least there won't be the frustration I felt trying to make simple adjustments anymore...thnx for the help and quick response. Best.
Nope. Just hit Escape when you are done.

You can also avoid the Arrow Tool to begin with. You can hold down SHIFT and pick on the elements you want to select.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz
Participant
DrawingStudio wrote:
Just curious, why doesn't the arrow cursor work in this case? Is there another function that it does in this scenerio that I'm missing?
Because Archicad is doing what I described earlier: Giving priority to the tool you have selected at the time. The Arrow Tool is made for selecting elements, not editing them. Archicad thinks you want to select something, so that's what it's trying to do.

There is also a feature in Archicad that if you have overlapping elements, picking on them repeatedly will cycle through them. Since you are picking on the same point where the lines meet, Archicad is trying to "help" by cycling though the elements that overlap at that point.

As an alternative, you could select what you want with the Arrow Tool, then click Edit > Reshape > Stretch (or it's equal keyboard shortcut) to stretch the point.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
Just extending it somewhere else? Use adjust. Fillet also works nicely.

Yep, walls too. All linear element behave the same.

As Tom said - the arrow prefers selection. I am a fervent advocate of NOT using the arrow to select anything, except by a window ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Jefferson
Participant
Unlike Djorde, I work with the selection tool as much as possible and like him I use adjust frequently. It is a wonderful and overlooked editing method that does wonders. In conjunction with the much maligned pet palette, you can tab through the range of type of adjustments you want to make, distance, etc. this method works for slab type object edges etc. as well. And once again I've never switched from the selection tool. No big deal to switch from selection to specific tools, unless you add it up over the corse of an ArchiCAD session.

In the case you introduced here, selceting the line, [the one you can't grab the end of], key in adjust, draw the adjust to point, or click on an adjust to element, adjust to point and you're done. And you never left the selection tool! If it hasn't made the correct adjustment now the end point is accessible without interference
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ctrl+H (stretch command) and ac will force stretching and won't allow selecting even if you're in selecting mode so you don't need to change tool to line, pline, wall etc.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
DrawingStudio wrote:
It should work. Can you select the line first, then click on the endpoint and hold until the pet palette appears? Then with the appropriate pet palette option chosen, you should be able to stretch the endpoint to the desired location.

I can't see why that shouldn't work, especially for simple lines. That's how it's intended to work.

Cheers,
Link.