BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to Assign different material on a Side of Slab/Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Is there away to asssign 2 different material on one side of a Slab/Wall ?
Please advise.
Many thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Karl Ottenstein
There's actually another method, but I don't really recommend it here. It may help in other situations.

When you do a solid element subtraction from something (the slab here), you can indicate that the subtracted faces get the material of the operator.

So, consider a slab into which you are cutting a hole for stairs. If the outside edge of the slab is brick for example (you are doing a crude core model without veneers for your walls) - and you cut a hole in the slab using the conventional method (slab selected, slab tool active, drag a rectangle to cut hole) - the edges of the hole will be brick.

But, if you want the edges of the hole to be white paint, you can subtract a big white paint slab from the first slab with 'use materials of operator'.

So, similarly - in this case - you can trim the edge of a slab with two different operators to apply two materials to the resulting edge.

Attached screenshot shows in foreground, two operators on the edge of an extended slab (resulting in the desired size) - one cube had white edges, the other had red. In the distance is the same sized slab with a normal hole (brick edges) and a hole cut via SEOp with a white slab - leaving white edges for the hole.

HTH,
Karl
Edges.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
seems that we have to use SEO as less as possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
angus wrote:
seems that we have to use SEO as less as possible.
I use SEO very extensively with very few problems. The function is very mature now (I used to be more sparing in its use). The main problem that still persists is if you try to make recursive operations (like A operates on B and B operates on A) but this seems dangerous anyway and is easily avoided.
rocorona
Booster
If you really hate those workaround... you can try this one.
Make a SEO subtraction, choosing the option to inherit the attributes from operators. Use two slabs with the two materials, allowing a very tiny overlapping (1mm) with your final slab.

Edit:
ooops.... seems I posted this too late.
Sorry

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Community Admin
I wish we would not have to use the small overlap. Instead, AC would make it inherit even if they just touch and have that common edge.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!