Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to cut object outside the wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I have this issue.
I want to cut the object showed in the picture, that way that I get the part inside the exterior walls. I've tried SEO but it doesn't work (probably because it's not realy upside or downside cut, but vertical)
Any tips?
Thank you in advance

Untitled-1.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anybody?
Dwight
Newcomer
SEO is the answer, but extrusion up from a special slab is the solution.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
WhiteMan wrote:
I want to cut the object showed in the picture, that way that I get the part inside the exterior walls. I've tried SEO but it doesn't work (probably because it's not realy upside or downside cut, but vertical)
Any tips?
Try using OBJECTiVE to model the objects and to do the cutting. Referring to the attached image:
  • 1. The domes in the model are swept profiles created with OBJECTiVE. The objects include a setting to control the object smoothness, so you can control the speed of redraw in 3D.

2. You can also use OBJECTiVE's Split tool to cut the objects without SEOs. Just select the objects to cut, click the menu OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split, and trace a line to show where the objects should be split. The offcuts can be deleted or retained as required.

3. The cut objects in 3D - note that I just dragged the offcut segments to the side in this case.

4. The cut objects in 2D - note the display is correct in plan, unlike SEOs (and fast too).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, wish I did the whole dome modeling with objective. I've created profiled walls, and than made an object out of them.
Thank's a lot for advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Could you please give some more explenation about this technique?
Dwight
Newcomer
Study Solid Element Operations in the Reference Material.
SEO1.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
WhiteMan wrote:
Dwight wrote:
Could you please give some more explenation about this technique?
I'm not sure if this is what Dwight means, but it's a simple intersection with profiled walls as the targets and a slab as the operator.
Dwight
Newcomer
That's not what i mean. SEO "intersection" only solves part of the problem.

I mean to use a perimeter slab with a hole to SEO "subtract with upward extrusion." The slab cuts, the hole preserves.

I do it this way to compensate for the lack of plan view SEO cutting, a much-lamented weakness in SEO actions. If you are doing a lot of SEO, OBJECTIVE tidily defies this heart breaking limitation as Ralph "The Wizard" Wessel cleverly points out.

To hide the SEO parts in the plan view, move the slab [with an opaque cover fill] forward in display order to mask the outer shell parts removed by the SEO action.

[Like a patch would do.]
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph,

Are there any plans to incorporate free-form functionality into OBJECTIVE ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25