Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to design 'Leaf' Roof?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking at design a leaf inspired roof design for a sustainable project I'm working on at Uni.

I tried using objective but I didn't get it to work as well as I had hoped (and as good as past experience...)

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 17.30.05.png
25 REPLIES 25
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I'm looking at design a leaf inspired roof design for a sustainable project I'm working on at Uni.
I tried using objective but I didn't get it to work as well as I had hoped (and as good as past experience...)
How about the method described here?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
How about the method described here?
Brilliant, thank you!
Dwight
Newcomer
A leaf roof using complex profile in a curved wall with automatic wall healing to trim the excess [but this doesn't work all the time so be prepared to use a Solid Element Operation]
leaf roof.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
What materials will the roof be made with? Concrete?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
What materials will the roof be made with? Concrete?
No wood. As much as possible will be made out of wood as it's located in a forest and it must be sustainable. I will need to show this some how as well ...
"The roof structure is made of laminated reflorestation wood (eucaliptus), capable of crossing big spans (20 metres is tle biggest here) with delicacy and warm aesthetics. The roof is covered in small reflorestation wood tiles (pinus taeda), that easily adapt to the complexes surfaces of it. It also collects rain water via the central steel column to be reused in gardening and flushing toiets. All surfaces finishes, except for glass and pre-oxidized copper are natural:" http://www.examiner.com/interior-decorating-in-san-diego/the-eco-tropical-brazilian-leaf-house

http://www.mareines-patalano.com.br/index.php#projeto&idProjeto=casafolha

Shot at 2011-02-11

Let me know if you need any help framing the roof. Or building it. I could use a trip to the tropics.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
That would work great Steve. I've not looked into it in great detail yet but I think an ISO 'explode' view of the roof structure would be excellent to show how it's constructed and the materials 'green' credentials (its a sustainability project)

I would appreciate enlightenment on the method you used to execute this very much.

Thank You
NStocks wrote:
That would work great Steve. I've not looked into it in great detail yet but I think an ISO 'explode' view of the roof structure would be excellent to show how it's constructed and the materials 'green' credentials (its a sustainability project)

I would appreciate enlightenment on the method you used to execute this very much.

Thank You
I don't know how little of an explanation you need so excuse me if I am giving too much info.

I made the curved arches by drawing it with a wall in plan view, exploded it, used the magic wand to make the fill of it a slab, view in 3d from the top, save as .gsm. This is an essential process to learn. Glulams that form the shape of the leaf are walls. Rafters are from the library( Rafter 14). Spread them out at 16" o.c., view in 3D, edit angle to fit the beam. Do this to .1 degree. It must be a good fit in order to work when you multiply, copy, and rotate. SEO is used to trim the rafters where they meet.

The curved valley beam is tricky. It will not be a uniform curve.
To make this beam, make a section exactly at the valley intersect.

Copy and paste the section view into the floor plan view so you can work on it. This will show you the exact curve you need for the valley beam.

Use the same process as before. Draw the beam with lines/archs use the magic wand to make it into a slab. View from the top in 3d and save as .gsm. When you go back to the floor plan, this new beam/object will by default be the one in the info box and you can place it like any other object. You may need to rotate it, flip it end for end, elevate, etc... to make it fit. Use section and 3d views to get it in place.

This particular valley beam is interesting. I used 3 different curves to make a very smooth fit.

In your case, you will probably not want the bottom plate of the leaf to be flat. You will want tilted leaves. To to this I would model them flat, then save the entire roof assembly as one model part and add to it a little .gdl script for tilt. roty rotx. Then do the SEO when you have the leaf parts tilted as you want it.

Just a tip. I would begin with laying out the rooms based on modules of
" ken x 1/2 ken ". Then make the roof in harmony with these units of measure. The leaves will be some ratio of ken x 1/2 ken also in length, width, and height. Find some geometric harmony for the whole thing and it will be much easier.

Take a look a the tile roof I modeled here http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=2477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30
The trick is to multiply with virtical displacement horizontal instead of virtical as was shown in the illustration using Objective.

Of course, there are many ways to do this and lots of tools to do it with.

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
As much as possible will be made out of wood as it's located in a forest and it must be sustainable. I will need to show this some how as well ...
Try doing the roof framing with OBJECTiVE too - it will be far easier. Refer to the attached image. I extended the previous example I referred to, arraying it around the entire building.

The framing is all done with a single object (Regular Profile). Rather than messing around with slabs, settings views, and saving GSMs, just draw the beams straight into a cross-section through the building. Use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend to loft it to the curve, and OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split to cut it at junctions.

The rafters can be done the same way - just cut a section, draw or rotate the rafter directly in the section (with OBJECTiVE > Tools > Rotate), and split to cut the ends (much better than SEOs - just a single object that looks right in plan). Materials applied to the timber will look better than bits of slabs too.

OBJECTiVE's ability to bend and/or twist the timber will give you more freedom to create organic forms. You might also want to refer to the use Peacebuilding is making of OBJECTiVE developing reciprocal frame structures for countries like Haiti.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems