cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Is there a way to permanently link a trace?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to permanently link a trace to a view maps settings?
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
NO - not with plans, it seems that each separate view remembers the trace but different view points of the same view do not.

i.e. because each elevation and section is its own view they will retain the trace you set for them.
But all the plans are treated as one view so even saving different view points (layers or stories) means they will still all share the same trace.

I think it was done this way for plans because in a multi-storey most people would want to reference a particular storey from all stories or the one above or below (or previous) which we also have the options for.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Barry, I believe you are mixing the definitions of Viewpoint and View.
The various representation types of the model listed in the Project Map are called Viewpoints. There are Floor Plan Viewpoints, Section Viewpoints, Detail Viewpoints etc.

A View is a saved/captured state of a Viewpoint: Views are Viewpoints saved with certain Layer, Scale, MVO, Reno Filter, PSD etc. settings.

I think that Saved Views do not save and store Trace Reference-related information.
If I Save a View with Trace Reference ON, then turn OFF Trace Reference, then activated the Saved View, the Trace Reference does not get turned back ON. This tells me its state is not saved with Views.
Also, I didn't find any mention in the Help files that Saved Views store Trace Reference-related information.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
My bad if I got the terminology mixed up.
I never did get my head around what was a 'view' and what was a 'view point'.
Makes sense that views are saved in the View Map.

The saved views in the View Map do not save the trace reference.

To clarify what I was saying then is that each View Point in the Project Map will remember the trace that was set for it.
This will filter through to the View Map views but can't be set differently for the different saved views of the same View Point.
i.e. to different views of the same elevation will have the same trace.

The View Points for the stories are treated a little differently though.
They are not treated a separate view points like separate elevations.
Stories have their own special trace settings for storey above, storey below, previous storey or any other particular trace for all storeys.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Thomas Holm
Booster
Hi
I'm currently working on 3D structural drawings for a building in collaboration with an architect who draws everything in one 2D file using Autocad, you know the old "drawing board" method, for instance his plan drawings are all drawn beside each other in one view.

As I need to use his design, I've placed the 2D DWG in an independent worksheet which i ref into my views using Trace&Reference.
I then save the views to be able to get back to the same work set.

This works fine for section views, the reference remembers its different positions fine for each view.

But for floor plan views it doesn't work at all. I place the ref once for story 1, save the view, being careful NOT to check the "Ignore zoom..." button, then go to story 2, drag the reference to correct position for this floor, Save the view as above. It looks fine, but when I go back to Story 1 by clicking the previously saved view in the Navigator's View Map, the reference keeps its last position - the one I set for Story 2.

I know the workaround - I'll have to insert the same DWG into new worksheets for each floor, so I can explicitly save different refs for each floor. But that was exactly what I was trying to avoid in the first place. I don't want a DWG file to multiply my pln file size because I've had to insert it several times.

What am I doing wrong?
Why doesn't saved views work the same in floor plan vs. section views?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Gus
Newcomer
It is unfortunate that we cannot attach a specific trace reference to a specific floor plan view. This means if I am tracing a pdf from a series of trace referenced worksheets (one for each level of an existing building), I need to re-place the trace reference every time I work on a different level of the building in plan. Are there any workarounds for this? Seems like having this "permanent trace reference link option" would be a good wish.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
Barry Kelly
Thomas wrote:
This works fine for section views, the reference remembers its different positions fine for each view.

What am I doing wrong?
Why doesn't saved views work the same in floor plan vs. section views?
This only works for section views if each view is for a separate section viewpoint (I think I got the terminology right this time).

Each view point can only have one trace reference - therefore all views generated from that view point will have the same trace reference.

Each storey of the floor plan is just another level of the same plan view point which is why they all have the same trace reference.

Basically each view point that you can open as a separate window in Archicad at the same time (i.e. only one floor plan at a time) can have it's own trace reference.
All views of those view points will show the same reference as the parent view point.

I could be handy if we could set different references for each view.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Thomas Holm
Booster
Clear as mud. Each storey displays as a different viewpoint in the Project map just like the views do in the view map.

The trace/reference chosen is a view aspect. We should be able to store various references with views. Having to attach the same ref several times and use tricks to hide them is ridiculous.
This needs to be cleared up!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thomas wrote:
Clear as mud. Each storey displays as a different viewpoint in the Project map just like the views do in the view map.
Barry is right. The Floor Plan Viewpoint and the 3D Viewpoint are special in this regard because there is a single Viewpoint for all Stories, and a single Viewpoint for 3D perspective/parallel projections.
So this is kind of deceiving because you see all those Stories in the Project Map and you think each is a separate Viewpoint when it is not. Proof is: you cannot have two Floor Plan Viewpoints open at the same time. Same is true for 3D perspective/parallel projections. You can have only one 3D Viewpoint open at any one time.

I suspect that this is a legacy thing and would require quite some work to change (I am not saying that it shouldn't be done).
The trace/reference chosen is a view aspect. We should be able to store various references with views. Having to attach the same ref several times and use tricks to hide them is ridiculous.
This needs to be cleared up!
You should make this into a wish, see how much support it gets.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thomas Holm
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
Barry is right.
Look, Lazlo, I know he's right. And you're right that it's a legacy thing. I've been with this crowd long enough to see that.

What I'm really asking for is consistency.

The Navigator's Project Map lists viewpoints - so they should be treated as such. All alike. (What am I seeing?)
I'm looking at a floor - fine! (I've waited many years for the ability to open several floor plan views at once. Still waiting. Despite - how many? - advertised "complete rewrites").

And the View Map lists Saved Views, that is, how, layers 'n all, I want the viewpoint to look. (How am I seeing it?)
Fine! But all views should work alike.

I want this to work, consistently, throughout Archicad, which I (despite this) think is still the most useful and clever digital work tool for architects.
I'm not convinced adding another consistency wish to the list will change things. I'm sure enough people at Graphisoft are aware of this. I'm just hoping that those who see the user needs will prevail among the politicians within Graphisoft's bureaucracy.