Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Issues rotating morph in 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
So i've been working with archicad 16 for a couple weeks now but am having issues rotating my morphs in 3D. I have no problems rotating horizontally, but cannot rotate vertically if that makes any sense? I have experimented with a basic cube and had no issues rotating in all kinds of directions, its near impossible to do it the same way with a more complicated shape.

How can i rotate and change the axis manually since it isnt picking up my faces easily on the morph?? Its holding me up big time, iv been trying to figure out how to do it for days now so if i cant do it on cad i will have to resort to another method. Any help please!!
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think (I hope) I know what situations you are talking about.
Sometimes the rotation axis is not very easy to set simply based on the geometry of the Morph we wish to rotate.
I have two ideas:
1. You could experiment changing the Editing Plane before rotating in 3D.
2. Place another element in 3D that you can use for the definition of the rotation axis points. This could be a slanted wall or a roof which you can then delete.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problem. It's such a nerve-wracking experience. It would be easier if it was possible to rotate the morph object by 90 degrees clockwise or counter clockwise with the option to snap it orthogonally instead of being able to rotate it in any direction by any degree and still not being able to set it perfectly straight or perfectly horizontal.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I am making a morph that needs to be rotated I usually draw a small square slab adjacent to the morph give it a height of 999, then select both & open in 3D.
Select the morph & use any face of the slab to set the rotation against. Voila.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Select morph, click the point you want to rotate from and hold down your mouse button, you can now pick the axis of the rotation.

I don't really like to pick the axis, would prefer to pick the 'plane', so to speak, but this does give you control over the typical 15/30 degree steps.

By default the editing plan is horizontal, you can change this to vertical or any plane of existing elements in 3D.

You can also, much more easily rotate things in section/elevation and plan view. Most tutorials focus on the 3D window (I guess it looks more impressive?), but you can be more productive using well placed sections and elevations and the plan view, in my opinion.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all, the last reply here has been really a long time ago, but has this issue been resolved by Graphisoft?

Isn't there any key that one can not to switch planes?