Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Kitchen Cabinets/units

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trialing archicad to see if it is suitable for my main function -Kitchen Design. From what I can see there are very few kitchen cabinets available in the standard library, so few in fact I can't see how an architect can design a kitchen of any use, or use it to sell the most important room in any home. I did find a post where somebody asked if the cabinets from 20/20 can be imported into archicad but the response did not answer the question, just have somebody ask what 20/20 was & have a reply pointing out that is the industry standard for kitchen design (for some international locations from my experience).

I would like this functionality in order to be able to use the software to design & sell kitchens, but also to slowly design my next own home, which is where the kitchen design software falls down.

I am basically looking for a decent library for kitchen cabinets that will provide the functionality required to use archicad as a room (kitchen) design CAD program more than a building design program. Does anybody know where I can get this functionality from?
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is a list of sites from where you can download lots of GDL object.
You should research these to see if the objects you are looking for are available:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/LinkCollection/GDLObjectDownloads
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
How exactly do they fall short? I've designed numerous kitchens in AC. The library objects are parametric, so their options extend beyond the preview picture. They do have their limitations, but it concerns me that you say "I don't see how an architect can design a kitchen of any use" -- it leads me to believe you don't understand the capabilities of the objects.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
The parts in the standard library can do quite a bit. You should definitely check out the options.

That said, the available door and hardware styles are necessarily limited to generic ones suitable for basic kitchen layout and design but cannot possibly include all the possible details and options available from all the kitchen manufacturers around the world. I doubt that it would be possible to produce a single library that could accurately represent Smallbone. Poggenpohl, Merillat, and so on and on... and even if it were, the result would probably be complex to the point of being unusable.

For other options check out the D3 Kitchens & Baths library on Object Online and Cadimage Cabinets.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have the NZE version of Archicad you should get Cadimage Cabinets with the package. As Matthew says, though, even this addition does not cover everything you might need in a kitchen (continuous handles, for example). In saying that, we use them to produce decent drawings and visuals for our clients and joiners. And if that is what you are doing all day every day, you would soon be more proficient than me as there can be a lot of settings to remember each time I have to use Cabinets again.
Nixon Kitchen03 with SK.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our work is mostly residential, which means that for every project there is a kitchen. Each project involves custom kitchen cabinets, and I find that with the options available for the basic library parts, most of what we design and build can be modeled and documented.

It takes some time to learn how to use all the available tools, and for some conditions you may have to create your own library objects, but, overall, I don't know of any other software which can get the job done better.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I find I prefer to use a combination of complex profile wall's, GDL doors (that can have custom doors assigned), empty openings to create dishwasher cut outs, standard base GDL elements(draw sets inserted in the empty opening).

I find this easier & more adaptable then the stock library parts. It's easier for example to use standard doors, then when needed create the door profile you need and save as a custom door, allowing to start with a standard style kitchen and then build up the detail over time. This also allows us to build up a bit of a library of components for use later on (we save these as both GDL objects & modules, which can be merged when needed).

I originally started out using the built-in wardrobe 12 door, as my default joinery door, and have been modifying it to try and get it as close to what I need, my limited GDL knowledge has been holding that back from any significant advances. Things like handles are where this approach lets you down, however I find it just as easy to use custom objects for the handles, until I get the time to dive deeper into GDL.

On a couple of occasions I have used complex profiles for more detailed bench tops (return bench tops), but for simpler designs I can incorporate that into the complex profile. The same goes for tiled splashbacks, they can be built into the profile, and if need be use empty openings to cut tiles out where necessary.

I'm sort of surprised that with the use of complex profiles that Graphisoft has not developed a joinery door object specifically for use in kitchen designs. The benefit of that would be that it could take advantage of the existing built in custom door & handles features already in archicad.

One of the major benefits is that as these library parts are part of the company library, we don't need to worry about library migration from version to version.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And some other considerations - particularly procedure. Attached is an image from a recent project... it's a pullman, but same ideas apply for a kitchen.

1. Model the countertop separately from the cabinets. This allows you to control it's contours, 2D coverage in the plan view and edge treatment.

2. countertop edge treatment can be done with GDL objects or Complex Profile tools.

3. Don't try to use a GDL's 'built-in' plumbing elements. The lavs and faucets in this image are separate GDL objects.

4. Model the toe kick separately from the cab boxes.... just like you'd build it in real life.

5. The backsplash was modeled using slabs. You could also use walls. The edge course is a separate element with it's own material assigned.

Notice the 'cut-away' toe detailing.. that was done with a GDL base moulding which has been cut out with a cut body GDL using a Solid Element Operation.

Don't get mentally 'locked in' to an Object because of what it's called.. If it does what you need it to do, use it. Sometimes I'll use 'overhead' cabinet elements in a base or full height cabinet situation, depending on what I need to happen. They're very flexible.

I could go on, but perhaps 'jiggling the handle' with these tips will open the door for you.. as it were!

If you go over to my website and hit the 'Links' page, I've got my entire GDL library available for download. It's got some handy widgets for doing traditional cabinets in the furnishings and finishes sub folders. Of particular interest are cabinets with FACE FRAMES... which are fully parametric.

Enjoy!