BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Large site/mesh w/ SEO road...sooooo slow

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on a large site plan that is mainly contours and roads. The client wants to view it in 3D so I have created a mesh and SEO'ed the roads out. There are a few ponds which just sit on the mesh and minimal objects scattered throughout.
I only have three or four SEOs opperations, but this seems to be the step that slows things down to a snail's pace.
I had to recreate my mesh three times to get it to SEO with the roads before I stopped getting errors. Now that I have the SEOs working exactly how I want them to, the 3D view time takes FOREVER when ever I make a single change to anything that has a SEO operation used on it.
Example: I change the material of the road/slab and it will be 45 minutes of wait time to regen the 3D view.
Other models work fine on this computer. I have duel processors and am working in AC12. File size is only 5,500KB. I've tried it without any objects. I need to make lots of tweaks to the mesh to get the model where I need and can't afford to wait for this 3D lag time.
Any suggestions!
Is the area I'm trying to model just too large?
Do large SEO operations cause this kind of lag. Too many points?
Can I import the mesh or road and still have SEOs, and would this speed things up.

RV Park1.jpg
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could try what we do.
The roads and foot paths are slabs that are sited above the mesh.
we then to a 'plan' render in lightworks.
This gives you a jpg file of the roading layout.
Next, create a new material with the render image to drape over the mesh.
I think this may do the trick. I don't need to edit the location of the roads...just the contour. I'll give this a shot.

It doesn't look like a complicated site, except all polygontrees. Have you checked your hardware / software so you don't have something running in the background that slow down your computer?
Also...I just recently put the trees back into the site. I had deleted all large objects but this did not solve the problem...so I put them back in.
I've been playing with this site for weeks now, and I'm pretty convienced its just this site, because all other models seem to work fine and at a good speed.
Does any one have a "simple" tree made? I tried to create one with a column and sphere and saved as an object and I kept getting GDL script errors. So I borrowed a tree from the archicad library deposit that was slightly smaller than the default AC12 trees.

when i applied an SOE on a mesh which had been also SEoperated then editing took forever.
I copied the ground and applied a SEO. Seemed that the problem was not the polygons but applying sequential SEO on a mesh.
just keep it in mind
I think this is exactly what I'm experiencing!!!!
Think I'll try the first tip with importing an image of the roads on the mesh to eliminate my need for SEOs...and see how that works first. Cross your fingers!
And a "simple' tree would be great!

Thank you all for the suggestions! And feel free to post if you think of anything else.
Lindsay
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Designr wrote:
Does any one have a "simple" tree made? I tried to create one with a column and sphere and saved as an object and I kept getting GDL script errors. So I borrowed a tree from the archicad library deposit that was slightly smaller than the default AC12 trees.
Lindsay:

I don't know why the method you used is giving errors, but you should be able to use Profiler (with the rotate option) to create a ball & stick tree. Or you could just group a column and sphere object (set the resolution of the sphere to a lower number to keep the polygon count down), and copy this grouping over the site. Your issue could be that there are elements that are both Target and Operator, which can be hard for ArchiCAD to parse.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
You might consider saving the site as a separate GDL object, which could be updated as needed.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Designr wrote:

And a "simple' tree would be great!
It is right there in the library - any AC deciduous tree with crown type elipsoid! There is also resolution parameter!
Learn and get certified!