Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Lost material

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have accidentally lost my "Glass- Mirror" from the materials list in AC13.

I have tried repairing the installation from the disc but that didn't work - I don't want to do full re-install in case I forget to save some of the personalising I've done. (I only use the program, I don't know where everything is stored & how to replace it.)

Perhaps someone could give me the settings for this to save me experimenting with the large number of parameters to try & re-create it?

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Eduardo Rolon
You can import it from another of your files using attribute manager.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
But that's how I found it was gone.

It shows up as " ? MISSING" in the materials (I noticed that it wasn't rendering as I expected & checked).

Won't that be the case for all files?
Eduardo Rolon
Still AFAIK you should be able to pull the settings from another file or backup using Attribute Manager.

The only way that a material should go missing is if you have deleted it from the material list, if so you can get it back as previously suggested.

If that material has a texture and you have deleted it from your texture folder then that is different.

In the US version there is no Glass-Mirror material.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David Maudlin
Rockstar
rkt3ct:

If the material was part of the original installation (in other words, not one you created or imported), you can do a New & Reset, which will open a blank file with the original materials. You can assign this material to an element (like a Slab) and copy then paste it into your current project, the material will be added to your project file.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to be sure you understand. The materials are stored in the project and have nothing to do with the program settings or installation. To reinstall ArchiCAD would have no effect on the materials present in the project file.

As the others are saying, you can recover the material either with attribute manger or by copy/pasting and element from another project. An advantage of attribute manager is that you can see, and have some control over, the index number. With the copy/paste (or merge) the new materials will be indexed to the next numbers available.

You don't say where you are getting this "missing" alert. In library parts it can happen that a materia will come up missing even if you have a material of the correct name but with a different index number.

This can be a bit complicated and since I don't know the details I'll leave it at that for now. HTH.
JaredBanks
Mentor
The simplest solution should be to just open an older version of the file, from before the material was deleted, and grab the material from there (via the attribute manager).

And if you don't have a good backup system, this would be a good time to start one!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help, guys.

I have resolved the problem (using Attribute Manager, as suggested).

I have no idea how I managed to delete the material - I probably shouldn't carry on working into the wee small hours!

I was wary of opening other files before I had a solution that would work in case the problem was going to repeat itself.