cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Material ID's

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the company that I work, the architecs use archicad and each time they make a new material it ends up as a higher number even though there is lots of spaces free in the lower numbers. Right now we are at ID number 550, so the next material ID will be 551, but material ID number 30-60 is free for use. How do you change the material numbers or make new materials with lower numbers.
This becomes a problem for me because some day because I work in 3ds max and my maximum multimaterial is 999, dont know how far archicad allows the materials ID's to go. Also I think it is a mess with spaces inbetween.
Hope you understand the question.

Jakob
7 REPLIES 7
Stress Co_
Advisor
jakobs wrote:
How do you change the material numbers
Drag the slider (or type it in the box).
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
jakobs wrote:
How do you change the material numbers
Drag the slider (or type it in the box).
(I think he is talking about ID numbers, not Intersection Priorities)
Stress Co_
Advisor
s2art wrote:
(I think he is talking about ID numbers, not Intersection Priorities)[/size]
I think your right

Here then:
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
i thought he might have been talking about the index number in the Attribute manager and referring more about surfaces than building materials (although it is similar for both).

If you delete surfaces, then that will create the gaps in the numbering that was mentioned and creating new surfaces will be added to the end of the list hence 550-551.

I haven't had any issue with the numbering not being sequential, but I suppose you could use the attribute manager to move surfaces back and forth using append or by Index to fill in gaps, but it gets mess as you don't want to overwrite or delete things, plus you have to rename and delete and replace surfaces
Attributes.PNG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for all your answers.

Yes I think that tiggerF is right, as you can see, im no expert in Archicad, I havent even installed the program on my pc. But the screenshot that you provide looks right to me. I have huge gaps of several hundred empty ID numbers on the materials, so over the range of 550 materials - maybe 200 materials is in use.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
jakobs:

Not easy to do, here is a post with one method: New attributes create with highest index number.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
jakobs:

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
Well this is my first post and it can very well be my last. And as I said, I dont have Archicad installed. But thanks for your link.