Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mesh to contour lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a easy way to make contours lines from a 3d mesh?
Thanks

Archicad 14
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi this is my little reminder list for the Office

1) Use mesh tool to draw a mesh around the perimeter of your site

2) Use space bar and spline / p-line tool to draw contour lines from survey dwg (Making sure that the contour lines go beyond the Boundary Line)

3) Whilst in mesh tool hold space bar and click on selected contour to add it to the mesh ( select add all ridges in little dialogue box )

4) 4 - Right click on a contour node and select the 'z' value icon and asign the rl you want to the contour (select assign to all in dialogue box)

5) 5 - Ensure you manually select the two endpoints of the contour and change the RL individually ensuring assign to all is not selected as it will assign the value to the whole perimeter of the mesh
Barry Kelly
What Wayne said will help you add contours to a mesh and alter its topography.
But if you want to generate contours from an existing mesh try this.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=177385&highlight=contour#177385

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
wayneh wrote:

2) Use space bar and spline / p-line tool to draw contour lines from survey dwg (Making sure that the contour lines go beyond the Boundary Line)

3) Whilst in mesh tool hold space bar and click on selected contour to add it to the mesh ( select add all ridges in little dialogue box )

4) 4 - Right click on a contour node and select the 'z' value icon and asign the rl you want to the contour (select assign to all in dialogue box)

5) 5 - Ensure you manually select the two endpoints of the contour and change the RL individually ensuring assign to all is not selected as it will assign the value to the whole perimeter of the mesh

This doesnt seem to form contour lines of the same value?

Not quite what im after thanks though I learnt another way to add Z values to a mesh.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
What Wayne said will help you add contours to a mesh and alter its topography.
But if you want to generate contours from an existing mesh try this.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=177385&highlight=contour#177385

Barry.
Someone at work showed me this way. Is there a easier way?

Thanks anyway
wayneh wrote:

------After executing this step this step, a dialog box pop up with the message " POLYGON BOUNDRY INTERSECTS ITSELF" and two choices: "Regularize and Keep Polygon"
After selecting either choice, a straight line appears. creating a closed polygon with in itself is a new mesh on top of the original mesh. Not a countour line to which I could apply a 'z' value.----------

Any clue what I am doing wrong?

Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
Barry Kelly
Make sure that the polyline/spline that you are using to magic wand the conours does not loop back over itself and make sure that the ends of the line pass over the side boundaries of your mesh.

A little tip - you want the polyline/splines that you are magic wanding for the contours to have as few nodes as possible.
The more there are the more chance there will be for errors and the more nodes you will have in your final mesh.
I find that I usually just draw a spline by picking a few point on the survey drawing rather than magic wanding on it and ending up with hundreds of nodes on a contour.
Add just enough nodes to get the shape of the contour that you want.
And as Wayne said make sure they extend beyond the sides of the survey boundaries.

Barry.
site_mesh.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry:
Nothing works.
As a last resort, I sent a file to Graphisoft support to see if they can help.
The suggestion about placing as little splines points inside the mesh is a good one.
Now all I have to do is make it work.

Thanks for your efforts
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry if this is a bit late, but I found that by opening up the mesh in the selection settings and under 'floor plan and section', it says 'ridge selection'.

Change that option to 'show user defined ridges'.

Hope this helped, it was what I needed. Not sure if that was what you were looking for.