Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Model in place

MikeH
Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a feature like in Revit, the model in place tool. I have used Revit for 4 years now and used that a lot. I prefer ArchiCAD over Revit but that tool was very useful for me. Is something similar in ArchiCAD? 

Operating system used: Windows 11

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Scott Boyd Turner
Enthusiast

The morph tool is very similar to model in place elements

Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB

View solution in original post

Solution

In ArchiCAD, we would use SEO for something like that.  Model the pattern, and Subtract it from the Target.  Put the Operator on a layer you can turn off.  I have a layer named SEO for that. 

Another way to sculpt something for graphic results would be bump mapping.  I don't really even try to do that with the ArchiCAD rendering engine.  But I am sure there are those that can do that.  I use Maxwell Render for that sort of thing.

I do know a rather clever method similar to bump mapping that is easy to do in ArchiCAD. 

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/Door-and-Window-Screens/m-p/400249#M168560 

You could use this idea for a lot of things that are similar I think to what you are talking about. ?  

Show an example of exactly what you want to do and I would be happy to show you how it would be done with ArchiCAD.   

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Solution

We use morphs mostly for creating custom library parts.  Occasionally there will also be a one-off object that we need to model and we just leave it as a morph.  We also use it a lot for modeling context around projects like buildings on adjacent properties.  It can be tricky to get the hang of at first, but it's very useful.  And unless you really NEED the boolean operations of combining or subtracting multiple forms to remain 'Live' I highly recommend using simple morph boolean operations instead.  They are far less processor intensive.  If you get too many SEO operations in a model it can really impact user performance because every time archicad redraws the scene it is reprocessing the SEO's.  I've seen it bring modest models to an absolute crawl.  

We use morphs to create custom tiles that we use in curtain wall objects for wall or floor tile, we use it to model light fixtures, accessories...all kinds of things.  Couldn't survive without it.

Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Scott Boyd Turner
Enthusiast

The morph tool is very similar to model in place elements

Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB
MikeH
Contributor

Thanks, I will look into that

I don't think there is any reason for something like the Model In-place Component feature in ArchiCAD.  

The closest thing to that in ArchiCAD (I think) would be what we call the Module. 

What is it you're wanting to do?  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

In Revit I used it for small details in the walls like brick patterns and custom objects like. So that is wat I want to use it for in ArchiCAD as well.

Solution

In ArchiCAD, we would use SEO for something like that.  Model the pattern, and Subtract it from the Target.  Put the Operator on a layer you can turn off.  I have a layer named SEO for that. 

Another way to sculpt something for graphic results would be bump mapping.  I don't really even try to do that with the ArchiCAD rendering engine.  But I am sure there are those that can do that.  I use Maxwell Render for that sort of thing.

I do know a rather clever method similar to bump mapping that is easy to do in ArchiCAD. 

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/Door-and-Window-Screens/m-p/400249#M168560 

You could use this idea for a lot of things that are similar I think to what you are talking about. ?  

Show an example of exactly what you want to do and I would be happy to show you how it would be done with ArchiCAD.   

Solution

We use morphs mostly for creating custom library parts.  Occasionally there will also be a one-off object that we need to model and we just leave it as a morph.  We also use it a lot for modeling context around projects like buildings on adjacent properties.  It can be tricky to get the hang of at first, but it's very useful.  And unless you really NEED the boolean operations of combining or subtracting multiple forms to remain 'Live' I highly recommend using simple morph boolean operations instead.  They are far less processor intensive.  If you get too many SEO operations in a model it can really impact user performance because every time archicad redraws the scene it is reprocessing the SEO's.  I've seen it bring modest models to an absolute crawl.  

We use morphs to create custom tiles that we use in curtain wall objects for wall or floor tile, we use it to model light fixtures, accessories...all kinds of things.  Couldn't survive without it.

Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)

Setup info provided by author