BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Foundation walls extending beyond reference line

MikeC
Booster

Hi all,

My foundation walls are extending beyond the reference lines all around the house. I've used Intersect with no effect. See images. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Mike

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 10.44.05.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 11.11.21.png

Mike Covill – Advanced Heritage Designs – AC 27 Solo on Mac
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

No matter what type of wall you use, you will encounter what you see if you have intersecting reference lines for walls in plan and that intersect in 3D space. It can sometimes be resolved by changing the Intersection Priority Junction Order of the relevant walls.

Ling.

Edit: Used the wrong term...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Are walls & foundations on the same layer?

If so put wals on different layer with a different intersection group number.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
RandyC
Advocate

That little bit hanging out is usually from the foundation walls being slightly higher and conflicting

with the framed wall over.  check the foundation wall height and drop it slightly.

ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9

They are on difference layers.  But, I kind of want them to intersect: the exterior cladding should extend below the top of the foundation, while the framing sits on top of the foundation and sill plate.

I kind of want them to intersect: the exterior cladding should extend below the top of the foundation, while the framing sits on top of the foundation and sill plate.  Is there a better way or correct way to do this?

Mike

RandyC
Advocate

Unfortunatly this is a limitation of Archicad -  try lowering them all an inch to verify this is the problem 

I have never found a way around this yet................................................

ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9

They can't intersect in real life, right?  Two objects in the same space at the same time is more Doctor Who... 🙂

What I think you mean and want is for the cladding to extend below the wall plate and cover part of the foundation wall.  That is exactly what complex profiled walls are designed to do... provide you with that cladding extension, but with nothing occupying the same physical space (which is what typically gives the result you show... as @RandyC pointed out.). If you have not explored complex profiles yet, they will open new worlds for you.  All without a Tardis. 🙂

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

A solution might be to buid a small (bottom plate) profile with a beam and place

it at the correct height -  (This could include flashing, sill plate gasket etc. )

I dont think there is a reaction between the beam- wall  heights 

like there is with the wall-wall heights.

Taking from @Karl Ottenstein & @RandyCthoughrs,
You can create foundation and sill plate as one complex profiled beam.

It shouldn't intersect with the brick wall or the Cladding.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
RandyC
Advocate

Unfortunately  in real life the flashing or other components are lower than the bottom plate

I have tried it adding to the foundation wall but the more complicated the profile the slower the computer gets.

this is why a simpler beam profile might work better.   If we could assign building materials to profiles then

we could show the hidden items by increasing the strength of the profile.

RandyC_0-1700087465110.png

Learn and get certified!