Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Morph Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
What I'm finding is if I draw a morph shape in an elevation or plan view, when I switch over to 3D, the morph ends up completely somewhere else in space.

Is there a way to tell the morph to start from a set face, or a plane?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just found if I'm in a 3D view and activate the Morph Tool, it allows me to choose a plane, which is what I was after.

Now is there a way to choose that plane in elevation or a plan view..?
David Maudlin
Rockstar
blimp wrote:
Now is there a way to choose that plane in elevation or a plan view..?
Morphs created in Elevation are on the plane of the Elevation Marker (cut plane).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry David, just trying to make sense of what you've posted. Does this mean when looking in plan, the elevation line is the set plane? Is there no way to set or draw a reference plan?

I'm coming from Revit, which I'd generally set a plane in plan by drawing a line, then switch to the elevation and draw the path of the morph. ain revit they call it an extrusion.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately no.
If you draw a Morph in Section/Elevation/Interior Elevation, it is always drawn in the vertical cutting plane of the Section/Elevation/Interior Elevation as shown in the Floor Plan.
The possibility to set an Editing Plane exists only in the 3D Window.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy I think I can live with that.

So basically what I'll do is simply draw a "section" closer to the wall or slab I plan to draw a morph on, then simply open that section, draw the morph shape, switch over to 3D and extend the morph.

I've only been playing with ArchiCAD for week now, but am am really starting to understand and like it over Revit (just quietly).

A big shout out to Eric Bobrow and his Best Practice Course 😉 He Rocks....!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
blimp wrote:
So basically what I'll do is simply draw a "section" closer to the wall or slab I plan to draw a morph on, then simply open that section, draw the morph shape, switch over to 3D and extend the morph.
That's correct. You can draw temporary sections or elevations (doesn't matter which) and you can move them around as needed or just delete them when you no longer need them.
You can actually draw a Section line on the outer surface of the Wall if you need to.
But also keep in mind that after you have drawn the Morph in a vertical plane, it is very easy to move it anywhere you want.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome... Thanks for the tip (y)

One more question. If I was to cut a hole or something similar in a wall using a morph and SEO, Do I select the wall as the "target" and the morph as the "operator"?

What do I then choose in the "Choose Operation" for it to cut a hole?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I think I just found it, I choose subtraction, then select the morph element and place it on a "hidden" layer 😉
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I usually use a separate layer for SEO operators.
Actually, I usually set this layer to Wireframe in the Layer Settings Dialog so when I need to do those SEOs, I can instantly see the result and see if it is what I intended.