Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Numeric input weirdness

Dave Jochum
Advocate
Never had this problem and am pulling my hair out. In the line or polyline tools, when entering angles in tracker the value reverts to 0 when I hit the R key to enter the length. Out of the blue one time it did not revert to 0 and the value I entered stuck, but never again. I've tried every combination of settings in the TRACKER & COORDINATE INPUT window of WE. What the heck?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
19 REPLIES 19
rocorona
Booster
Yes, very confusing. It happens with the other tools. Try disabling the two options in the Work Environment

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Yes, Roberto, those options actually were never selected. I tried selecting them just to see if I could figure out what was happening, but I couldn't get either of them to stick. I created new USER PREF SCHEMES, but no go. Tonight, out of the blue, they ARE sticking, but I still cannot get an angle input to work--selected or not. I select the polyline or line tool, enter A, Tracker highlights the angle input area, angle is entered (doesn't matter what angle unit is used), hit R to input length of line and the angle reverts either to zero or, if I moved the curser after the initial click, the angle reverts to whatever showed prior to entering A.
Dave Jochum
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Unless someone has another idea, it seems to me the USE RELATIVE ANGLE MEASURES set in the TRACKER AND COORDINATE INPUT window of WE is not working. This only malfunctions for me in AC 16. Still works fine in 15. I'm still running Snow Leopard and I've seen other problems including warnings that ERRORS HAVE OCCURRED, splines were corrupted and repaired by AC, and obvious graphics card incompatibilities.
Dave Jochum
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Dave:

I am also running Snow Leopard but cannot reproduce your bug. I don't know what setting could cause this. Do you have the same issue if you enter the length first, then the angle?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Dave Jochum
Advocate
David wrote:
Dave:

I am also running Snow Leopard but cannot reproduce your bug. I don't know what setting could cause this. Do you have the same issue if you enter the length first, then the angle?

David
Yes, David, I do. Additionally, when I enter the length first, two lasting guidelines are produced--one a circle, one a line, neither remotely useful. But the angle the line takes is always wrong.

Are you having any graphics issues in SN? (exploding pixels, long refresh times, error messages) Your computers are newer than mine, so you're probably having a different experience with 16. I've got a new MBP on the way, so I'm sure these problems will not continue for me.
Dave Jochum
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Dave wrote:
Additionally, when I enter the length first, two lasting guidelines are produced--one a circle, one a line, neither remotely useful. But the angle the line takes is always wrong.
The only way I get the circle guide line is to lock (option-r) the radius, so I don't know what is happening on your end. You might try disabling Guide Lines to see if that helps.
Dave wrote:
Are you having any graphics issues in SN? (exploding pixels, long refresh times, error messages) Your computers are newer than mine, so you're probably having a different experience with 16. I've got a new MBP on the way, so I'm sure these problems will not continue for me.
I have not had display issues with Snow Leopard on either machine. You can check your graphics card against the Graphisoft list, some cards do seem to create more problems than others.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
We were having a similar problem when we started using AC16- when trying to input a coordinate numerically, the origin would jump to some random location. This would happen when using the split command and also trying to place a object (wall, etc...). For example, trying to place an interior wall I would place an origin at the corner of two existing walls, type in coordinates (say, x: -3-0, y 0-0) and the wall would instead start x 27-0, y 20-0 (for example).

To fix it I unchecked "Coordinate shortcuts prefer Tracker" and checked "Show X-Y coordinates relative to User origin in Tracker" in Options--> Work Environment-->Tracker and Coordinate Input. (see attached screen shot)

I suppose the origin was defaulting to the Absolute instead of relative origin, but I don't know why.
Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 11.04.20 AM.png
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Thanks for your comments, David. The problems I'm having are surely due to the age of my hardware (early 2008). I've never had any of these issues until upgrading to 16.

It's gotten even weirder. Yesterday afternoon I couldn't get the 3D window to display but a few objects at a time. SHOW ALL LAYERS did nothing. At that point it became pretty clear that it's time for a new computer. The sooner it gets her, the better.
Dave Jochum
Dave Jochum
Advocate
designade wrote:
We were having a similar problem when we started using AC16- when trying to input a coordinate numerically, the origin would jump to some random location. This would happen when using the split command and also trying to place a object (wall, etc...). For example, trying to place an interior wall I would place an origin at the corner of two existing walls, type in coordinates (say, x: -3-0, y 0-0) and the wall would instead start x 27-0, y 20-0 (for example).

To fix it I unchecked "Coordinate shortcuts prefer Tracker" and checked "Show X-Y coordinates relative to User origin in Tracker" in Options--> Work Environment-->Tracker and Coordinate Input. (see attached screen shot)

I suppose the origin was defaulting to the Absolute instead of relative origin, but I don't know why.
I've been using AC long enough that I can usually figure out any issues that come up, but I've been referring to the HELP pages quite a bit the last few days and have come to realize that they leave a lot to be desired. The explanation for those controls could definitely be explained better. Because logic wasn't working for me, I have tried every combination of the tracker and coordinate input settings with no joy. I definitely have hardware issues--can't blame it on AC. Thanks for chiming in.
Dave Jochum