Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Offscreen dialog boxes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Halo guys, i'm having some problem with missing dialog boxes due to external monitor while working in archicad.

Some dialog boxes were set to be opened on the external monitor, and when i only use my main display (laptop) those dialog boxes seems to be still on the external monitor (offscreen) so i can't do anything except pressing escape to cancel whatever i was about to do.

Usually i just plug the monitor back in, but i'm currently out right now and i don't have any access to external monitor at the moment, any suggestion?
16 REPLIES 16
MrC
Advocate
had same problem a while ago......i think on a mac it your display settings.....?
ILIFFE ARCHITECTURAL

BRITISH COLUMBIA

macbook pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

AC 21 USA (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
this happens to me ALL THE TIME !!
using windows,
If i close my laptop, THEN unlplug my external displays, AC won't reset the dialog box locations to the single laptop screen when I open later. This is EXTREMELY frustrating.

applying a standard scheme does nothing,

basically for now, make sure you unplug your monitors first, before closing a file
runxel
Legend
This is a serious issue.

I'm currently without external monitor, and every palette opens there. Thanks for nothing, Archicad!
Applying another enivironment does not help.

Please do some sanity checks here, before opening palettes, GS!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
runxel
Legend
Well, I think I found a workaround:
It utilizes the fact you can export the workspace and the resulting file being a XML.
You'll have to edit the "Rect" values inside the "SizeableDockData" node.
Read more about it here.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
The only solution i found was to draw all the later missing dialogboxes on the second monitor (bigger desktop-screen) back to the upper left in Archicad, before switching off the second monitor, before returning to a singlescreen-configuration. Expecially the Pet-Pals ar a mess..
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
runxel
Legend
Hmooslechner wrote:
The only solution i found was to draw all the later missing dialogboxes on the second monitor (bigger desktop-screen) back to the upper left in Archicad, before switching off the second monitor, before returning to a singlescreen-configuration. Expecially the Pet-Pals ar a mess..
Servus Heimo,
well, the other solution is to edit the workspace scheme XML, as I linked above.
It's also the only solution btw that's viable when there is no other monitor around – a difficulty I faced.

Also it helps to keep two seperate workspace schemes: one, when connected to another display, and one when on a single monitor.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am truly sorry about the experience!

This is a known problem to us. It seems like this is partly an ARCHICAD issue, as well as a Windows issue, as I haven't come across similar reports from macOS users. If you have this issue on macOS, please let me know! I haven't got a chance to test this yet.

I must say, this experience is a very painful one for me as well. Especially during these days, when working from home is a must and I use Remote Desktop every day, it is not easy when everything is set up perfectly on that 4K screen now being downscaled and messed up to my FullHD laptop screen!

This issue can be fixed by having different Work Environment setups. We have recorded a wish in our system already. Unfortunately, this is not something that is easy to change, due to the nature of ARCHICAD's user interface and how Windows behaves. I hope that we will find a solution for this soon, as I can see how annoying it can be when you have a deadline to meet and cannot find where certain palette is hiding!

Thank you very much for raising the issue! I am truly sorry for the inconvenience that this one is causing!

Have a great day, and enjoy the rest of Easter Monday for those who are celebrating it!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT