Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Open Type Fonts Shift

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our open type fonts are shifting up in the text box.

We use .otf or Open Type Fonts from Adobe such as Graphite Standard. We work in ArchiCad 9 & 10. In both applications, when we upgraded from OSX 10.4 to 10.5 the fonts shift in their text blocks (in files made in OSX 10.4 and then opened in 10.5) and do not relate to the leader lines etc. It only happens with .otf fonts and all other fonts are stable. The problem is more pronounced if the "Leading" is set to less than 100% in the text selection settings.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and does it occur in AC versions 11 or 12?
22 REPLIES 22
Karl Ottenstein
robinb wrote:
I am wondering if you reported the last post regarding the same problem on the Windows OS to Graphisoft and if they had any comments?
Hi Robin,

This thread is linked in their bug system, so anything posted here will presumably be reviewed by the engineer addressing the issue. (I don't really get much spontaneous communication from GS.)

I'll add a note linking to the Windows post just to make sure it is seen, though.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
We've been dealing with the same problem since last summer, and I just came looking again to see if there was any solution.

We had this same problem years ago with VectorWorks. Graphite font would appear just right in Microsoft Word but would be shifted up in VectorWorks on PPC platform. VectorWorks got it solved in PPC. We had no problem with ArchiCAD in PPC (running 10.4), then got an Intel machine (running 10.5) and there was the problem again!
Rod Jurich
Contributor
I've had the need to share with a PC colleague a file and also fonts to ensure all would show correctly.

Now being a Mac user I purchased .otf Open Type Fonts thinking this was the way to go.
$175 went into the bin!!

ArchiCAD does not handle OTF well at all. At least on my Mac it doesn't!!

As an experiment I bought windows TTF fonts and they like Mac .dfont fonts stay where you expect them to stay.

I have replaced a couple of .otf fonts with windows .ttf fonts and all display correctly.

So bottom line is if you are on a Mac and need new fonts to use in ArchiCAD buy windows .TTF fonts.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |