cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Plaster on concrete beam

justdhruv
Contributor
ArchiCAD has composites for walls, slabs and columns, which make it easy to have a brick/concrete core with plaster on one or both sides. It there any setting for beams as well?

If one has a column connected to a beam of the same width, with plastering turned on, on the column, an offset will appear at the junction, if the beam cannot have plaster on it. Is there any setting i am missing. And are there any work arounds for it?
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Depending on exactly what you wish to accomplish, you can use the complex profile to make beams with any number of parts and skins (all must be continuous along the beam's length). This should take care of your offset problem since the beam can be made to match the column.
justdhruv
Contributor
Actually, what i want to do is illustrated in the attachment. There are two purposes for doing so.

1. i want to have a single colour/finish on all surfaces, which in this case will be plaser or painted plaster
2. The whole idea or one of the main ideas of going BIM is that one is able to take quantity take off from the model. So i want to model in such a way that my model can give surface area(and perhaps the volume) of the plaster as well.

I explored the complex profile manager, but i could not figure out if it one is allowed to have skins/veneers around the complex profile.

Can slabs and beams also have a wrapping option just like column have for inserting in walls.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.[/img]
Anonymous
Not applicable
justdhruv wrote:
Actually, what i want to do is illustrated in the attachment. There are two purposes for doing so.

1. i want to have a single colour/finish on all surfaces, which in this case will be plaser or painted plaster
The finish is defined by the ArchiCAD "Material" which just defines the surface appearance. This will all match by default but can be varied edge by edge in the profile.
2. The whole idea or one of the main ideas of going BIM is that one is able to take quantity take off from the model. So i want to model in such a way that my model can give surface area(and perhaps the volume) of the plaster as well.

I explored the complex profile manager, but i could not figure out if it one is allowed to have skins/veneers around the complex profile.

Can slabs and beams also have a wrapping option just like column have for inserting in walls.
There is no automatic wrapping for beams (or anything) in section the way columns and wall interact in plan. In fact, fill clean up in section is generally not good (big wish list item).

You can however make a complex profile with the plaster, etc. included so that it will clean up with all the walls and floors. It is a bit tricky though. Think of it as a 3D patch as you draw the fills in the profile editor. You will need to include the little bits of the adjoining fills to get a proper clean up (as marked approximately by the red rectangle below).

For quantity take-offs on the profiled walls you will need AC11.
justdhruv
Contributor
Thanks mathew, for the prompt replies, on both the occasions. I tried doing what you have said in the profile manager, but for some reasons i cannot change colours of the various polylines that i am drawing....all are same colour. any work around, or am i missing some thing?
Anonymous
Not applicable
You should be drawing with fills in the profile editor. The settings are the same as drawing in any other 2D view with the addition that you can change the pen and material (ie finish) settings of each edge with the pet palette.

Click the edge you want to tweak, and select the icon that looks like the letter "C". This gives you a dialog to change the pen and surface material of that edge. If you want to change the material settings for all the edges there is a check box for that - but be aware that this also them to the same pen as well.
justdhruv
Contributor
thanks, will give it a try