Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Presentation walls vs construction walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
In our office we like to make the presentation walls 100mm, but it then makes it tricky when doing construction details. A work around I thought of is to make the core 100mm and 5mm each side for wall linings (internal walls) then manually draw over the linings with 10mm plasterboard. By showing the core walls only and showing the fill as 25% or similar (hiding the insulation hatch), the presentation walls can be shown as 100mm, then change the model view combination to show linings and insulation hatch, meaning I'll only need to place studs in plan/section. Sorry if this seems a little vague, I'm just trying to find the most efficient solution for less drawing. Is there any issues with doing the walls this way or is there a more effective solution?
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
You would need to be very careful with intersection priorities in the walls and layers if you do this.
Placing plasterboard walls over the top of your presentation walls you may end up with them all trying to automatically trim to each other with unacceptable results.
Different walls occupying the same space at the same time has never been a good option in my experience.

Plus you will have the problem that you have 100mm walls in your presentation plan and 110mm walls in your construction plans - again a recipe for problems in my opinion.

I would still use your MVO options but in a slightly different way.

Model your walls as they really are with the 10mm plasterboard, 90mm studwork and 10mm plasterboard.
Then you will need two MVO combinations.
One for your detailed construction floor plan that shows the walls as they are.
Then a second MVO combination for "Presentation" in which you set all the composite fills to show as solid in plan.
Your presentaion walls will then be solid 110mm thick walls (and if you have a separate pen set that changes the pen colours to black then they will view and print as solid black walls).

Will anyone notice they are 110mm instead of 100mm?
And you only have to worry about placing 1 wall instead of 3.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the feedback Barry. The boss and the clients would notice the 110mm walls sadly. I've had a look at the wall priorities and am comfortable with getting them to work with the experimenting that I've been doing in my spare time. Ahh the 10mm plasterboard walls that I would place would be detail elements only, so I thought the nods on the detail elements can be used to pretend the core wall is 90mm instead of 100mm. Doing it this way would disguise the 100mm core wall by hiding 5mm of it each side with half of the plasterboard detail element (with the other half of the detail element being taken up by the existing finish plasterboard on the actual placed wall). The other option I thought of would be to model it like you mention and somehow automate the 90mm dimensions to change to 100mm on the presentation drawings only.
Barry Kelly
craigj wrote:
Ahh the 10mm plasterboard walls that I would place would be detail elements only, so I thought the nods on the detail elements can be used to pretend the core wall is 90mm instead of 100mm. Doing it this way would disguise the 100mm core wall by hiding 5mm of it each side with half of the plasterboard detail element (with the other half of the detail element being taken up by the existing finish plasterboard on the actual placed wall).
You won't be able to easily dimension the walls though.
If you just click on the side of the wall you will either get 10 or 100.
You will need to zoom into the corners and specifically pick the inside node of the 10mm walls.

Also using the separate plaster and main walls you will have trouble with doors and windows.
They can only belongg to one wall so won't cut the holes in your plaster.

Just thinking about it some more why don't you try using all 3 partial structure options.
Create your wall compostite with a 90mm "core", then a 5mm "other" skin and the a 5mm "finish" skin.
Then in plan you can use the partical structure display to show "entire model" for your construction plans and "without finish" for your presentation.

I have made the 2 plaster skins diffent colours here but you could make them the same and even turn of the separator line between them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
That sounds like a great idea, thanks so much. I didn't realise there was another option for the skins besides core and finish. That's just made my week!