cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Profiler help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need help!.. new user so a simple one I hope.. How do I get profiler to extrude "upwards".. Z direction? I am trying to put a stucco band around a window and can create it on a slab but can't "stand" it up or better still, create it on an elevation/3d view. Also applies to mouldings on gable rakes and frieze boards that are sloped.

Thank You in advance...
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
Pretend to be a carpenter building a window trim on the floor.

"Standing it up" involves using the ArchiCAD 3D view to determine "up," then saving the 3D model component as a GDL object.

1: Select on the plan view only the elements you wish to turn into the object.

2: Take a 3D parallel view from the direction facing what you wish to be the "top."

3: In the GDL Objects dialog - "Save 3D Model as Object"
use GDL option, not binary. Give it a meaningful name and save it in a new folder in the ArchiCAD library folder.

4: That thing will become an independent object that can be placed against a wall.

Experiment - this is a powerful way to adjust object orientation without the complexities of GDL.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
For tilted gable pieces, assign a rotated view as "top," so that your fancy extrusion will match the roof slope.

BTW: A new API is coming soon that will make a reliable 3D extrusion
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

You were not kidding about the carpentry thinking.. Actually have to measure my window, draw the outline on a table, then profile that.. and go hammer it on the house... Hopefully the resulting object is smarter than it's real life counterpart.

Still wading through the standard libraries to see what's already there and what I may need to make/buy.. love those railings in the concrete folder..

Thank You..
Djordje
Ace
Rashid wrote:
Still wading through the standard libraries to see what's already there and what I may need to make/buy.. love those railings in the concrete folder...
You can also look into ArchiForma (any path extrusion, any rotation - even better in new 2.0) and, of the included tools, TrussMaker - excellent for making all kinds of railings and vetical stuff of griddy appearance!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen