Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Quick Layers Palette disappears

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have two computers in our office running ArchiCAD 9 (2018 USA FULL). From time to time the Quick Layers Palette disappears. The Quicklayers Palette cannot be invoked with our Keyboard Shortcut and it is not shown on the Restarting ArchiCAd Window/Palette Display menu. It is also not available under Options/Work Environment/Palette Schemes or anywhere else that it might normally show up in the Work Environment menus.

Because this is happening on two machines that are independent of each other we think it is a bug in this version of the software.

Please let us know if there is a solution or fix to the problem.
Thank you,
John
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was told by Graphisoft that Quicklayers does not automatically re-appear with a new session of ArchiCAD because it is an add-in, albeit integrated into the ArchiCAD interface.
I think that this explains its behaviour
__archiben
Booster
MikeS wrote:
I was told by Graphisoft that Quicklayers does not automatically re-appear with a new session of ArchiCAD because it is an add-in, albeit integrated into the ArchiCAD interface.
I think that this explains its behaviour
the quicklayers palette isn't a fully fledged member of the WE yet - only its position gets remembered with the palette scheme, not whether or not it's visible.

what you can do is make yourself a dedicated quicklayers 'toolbar'. toolbars are fully fledged members of the WE and (at least on the mac) can be dragged around to act very much like a floating palette. they are slightly smaller but will act the way you want them to . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Bruce
Advisor
I have assigned a shortcut for the Quick Layers palette as I find it an invaluable tool whilst modelling. I have used the ALT+` (~) key and it works no problem.

I also have the latest patch for AC9, and sometimes QuickLayers decides it wants to stay, other times it gets lazy - but with the shortcut it's not a headache at all - it pops up right where I left it. It would be nice if I could dock it though.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
kevin b
Contributor
So I put this here as it seems related although I'm on 10 now. I set the quick layers palette to show in my WE and it never saves. Whenever I startup AC10 the quick layers palette is gone and even when I apply my WE it is not there, I need to redefine the palette setup which works as long as I keep AC running but as soon as I shut down it resets.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
TomWaltz
Participant
I had that problem in AC9 as well.

I gave up and added a "Quick Layers" drop down button to my Toolbar.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has been annoyed by this bug. If I feel motivated sometime I will make the toolbar as archiben has suggested. Anyway to transfer custom tool bars between work environments?
Anonymous
Not applicable
has anybody looked to see if this problem is fixed in version 10?
John
kevin b
Contributor
It's not, that's why I posted, in fact I never had the problem in 9 but I do in 10.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Thomas Holm
Booster
kevin wrote:
.. I never had the problem in 9 but I do in 10.
Same here. The bug is reported and confirmed by GS.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Bruce
Advisor
I'm not on 10 yet (soon, very soon) - but I would have that 'problem' in 9 - and my understanding was that it was a floating palette, therefore not subject to the same rules as docked palettes.

I 'fixed' the problem by assigning a hotkey to it (in my case Alt+`) and it would appear where I left it.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb