Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Roof overhang - Tiles only

Zendrix
Contributor

Hi all!

Say i have a composite roof and the last layer is ceramic tile. I already have an overhang of 50 or 60cm of the whole roof element buy say i want to extend just the tiles some 30cm further out. is that possible? What would be the efficient way to do that? 

Cheers

image.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
cuba
Expert

There is no setting in the roof with which to do this but there is another way: extend the roof to how far you want the overhang and connect it the to a wall whose building material priority is lower than the tiles but higher than the rest of the structure of the roof. The wall will cut off the underlying structure.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-10-27 om 07.39.48.png

The wall is 100% transparant (air) in this example, you can place it in an non visible layer.

Apple M1 Max 32 GB Ventura
AC27

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
cuba
Expert

There is no setting in the roof with which to do this but there is another way: extend the roof to how far you want the overhang and connect it the to a wall whose building material priority is lower than the tiles but higher than the rest of the structure of the roof. The wall will cut off the underlying structure.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-10-27 om 07.39.48.png

The wall is 100% transparant (air) in this example, you can place it in an non visible layer.

AC27
Zendrix
Contributor

Hey Cuba!

Thanks a lot for the input, that solved my issue and very well explained.

Some follow up questions:

1. will reducing my "timber structural" priority value from 900 originally to 830 (which was the threshold value to which it was useful in this operation) disrupt my workflow in any serious way with other timer structural components? or will it be just a matter of fine tunning these valkues as you go along modeling?

2. Should i create a layer specifically for invisible walls? It seems these are some kind of operations that will happen a lot if you want to take your modelling a step further. What would be the best workflow? Say creating a "air wall invisible" layer where i place all of these walls that i will use for this operations?

Cheers,

Hello Zendrix,

1/you don’t need to change the priotery values of the timber construction or the ceramics tiles. Keep them the way they are, just make sure the ‘airwall’ priority is in between them.

2/ depends on your template. When you add a new layer, you might have to change all your layercombinations. Maybe you can use an existing layer that does the trick.

AC27