cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Saving as pdf

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey

I have one question.

I have more "smaller" drawings in one drawing (like 1 is only door etc) and i would like to save each of drawing on its own A4 format pdf's through layout books. Here is my problem: i don't know how to resize the smaller drawings to fit the paper, so when i insert my small drawing of the doors, its only a small 2x2 cm box on whole a4 paper, more on pictures:
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
then when i want to save it, i'd like to have it on whole a4 format not just that small:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Koviac,

To start:
1) Always prepare your work for layouts in the View Map of the navigator.
You show a screen capture from the project map in your first post. The project map is a very bad choice in terms of preparing your work for the layout sheets.
2) Do not place details or any figures directly on stories. Stories are strictly for placing the elements required to build the 3D model. Walls, meshes, objects, etc. Again I must emphasize we are looking at your project map, not a place for work of any kind. There are exceptions of course, but for now follow this golden rule: do ALL of your work in saved views.

Let me digress and explain what the Project Map (PM)is. PM is the digital foundation of the model, GS calls them "View Points" a very confusing term, because they are not "views" at all. The PM is a "dumb" storage bin for the raw data of: walls, objects, etc. It is the visual data base of the model. In PM you CAN NOT record any visual changes you make (pen settings, scale etc). On the other hand the View Map is a place where you can change how you see the raw information of the model AND RECORD THOSE CHANGES. This slight difference is the difference between being confident in AC and being constantly confused.

OK back on track.
3) place your figures, external details etc on worksheets. Then move your focus to the View Map make any changes to the pen sets, scale, etc in View Map and save those changes (you will need to access the help files for more details). Once you have done that, only then do you place the view onto the layout. Again AC has a weird ability to confuse. NEVER right click in a view window and use the pet palette to "save and place on layout". ALWAYS hover over the saved view name in the Navigator View Map, click it and choose to "place on layout". Believe me, this small step makes a big difference.

Now let's finally get to your layout sheet and scale issue. Once you have done the above. you can right click on the image you see in the layout, and via its pet palette, change its scale to fit your needs. If the original image was a PDF, you may have to first resize that image while in the worksheet itself to get to scale. Then in the layout book you will be able to change the scale via percentages or by referring to other standard scales.

HTH,
Mark
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Viewpoint:
a direction or place from which you look at something

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/viewpoint

So I think it is a good name.
A Floor Plan is viewing a model from above while you cut your model with a horizontal cutting plane and take away what is above it.
A Section is viewing a model from the side while you cut your model with a vertical cutting plane and take away what is in front of it (between you and the vertical cutting plane).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Koviac wrote:
Hey

I have one question.

I have more "smaller" drawings in one drawing (like 1 is only door etc) and i would like to save each of drawing on its own A4 format pdf's through layout books. Here is my problem: i don't know how to resize the smaller drawings to fit the paper, so when i insert my small drawing of the doors, its only a small 2x2 cm box on whole a4 paper, more on pictures:
In the Layout, select the Drawing, go to its Settings Dialog, and in the Properties panel click the right-pointing arrow button to the right of the Magnification field, and click "Fit to Layout".
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Viewpoint:
a direction or place from which you look at something
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/viewpoint

So I think it is a good name.
I beg to differ, it would have been more useful to call items in the Project map a technically accurate term such as projection(s).

The floor plan, section and elevations are projections through a plane. A plan is not viewed from above, it is projected from above. Perspectives are viewed from a view point. At any rate, it would have been so convenient to have PROJECTions in the Project Map.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Viewed from above as a parallel projection.