cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sections - from model or change to 2d?

Sandramuller
Contributor

We had a conversation in the office.

For tender/construction drawings, how much do you fix the section (after you changed from just grey walls floors etc to showing  the build ups) and how much do you transfer this information  in a 2d drawing (and finish it  off in 2d like you would have done in Autocad)?

Any example images would be nice

18 REPLIES 18
Eduardo Rolon

As close to 0% as possible for sections and wall sections.

Logic is "if it will possibly impact more than one drawing" then fix the model.

Typical Details are mostly 2D.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Barry Kelly

I find it is quite possible to model everything up to a scale of 1:50, possibly 1:20 without any problems.

Once you start needing larger scales details to show things like waterproof membranes, fixing plate, nuts & bolts, etc., then that is when I start detailing in 2D.

But even many of those things such as the fixing plates can be modelled in 3D and saved as objects or modules, so the majority of the 2D work is done for you.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

What about individual  bricks and blocks?

In elevation, I use a surface with a hatch associated to it.

In section I would add a 2D object overlay as I don't think you can control the position of a cut fill if you need to represent accurate brick coursing.

But again, only for large scale details, 1:20 and larger.

Any scale up to 1:50, I am happy with a solid or hatched fill.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tim Ball
Expert

I create every section from 3D model by drawing complex profiles.

There may be a limit to the complexity of a model but I haven't hit it yet.

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
mthd
Ace

I just add the 2D line work with Archicad over the top of the live cross section with layers for each 2D fill or element at 1:50. Sometimes you need to turn off 3D element layers if they interfere with your section 2D representations. If the model changes you can always edit your 2D work to suit. No need to use another app. Sometimes it can become necessary to turn your live cross sections or elevations into a 2D drawing, it’s good to have that flexibility inside Archicad.

Edit: We can also change the section or elevation drawing status back to auto rebuild or “live” if the model changes shape. The more you can create an accurate 3D model the less 2D line work you will need to do. Some master class Archicad users here, use the complex profile tool to help them make the section look even more closer to the building reality. I however am still learning to use that tool in the process for creating a slab rebate for example.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
DGSketcher
Legend

All the coordination benefits of 3D are lost as soon as you move to 2D. I will avoid 2D details unless I have to and use live [detail] sections for everything I can and as others have suggested just overlay with fills, lines & notes. I tend to pick up a lot of drawings from collaborators and it is so frustrating when you see parts of their drawings aren't coordinated because they either work exclusively in 2D or their detail / section views haven't been updated with material changes in their own design.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Over the live 3d?

Not sure I understand.  Do you have a sample image or similar to explain?

This is for example what my colleagues are doing

Coppingfrom the section onto a Worksheet and then changing the 2d information.

https://youtu.be/BDm7nWxOdqo

Anyone has a good link how to do it without loosing the connection to the model?