Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sloping Profiler

Scott Bulmer
Booster
I seem to have forgotten how to make a sloping profile. Can someone please advise me before I kill myself.
Thanks, as usual.
Scott

Axo 2B.jpg
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
60 REPLIES 60
Anonymous
Not applicable
Z.Bauer wrote:
Scott wrote:
I seem to have forgotten how to make a sloping profile. Can someone please advise me before I kill myself.
Scott
Use ArchiForma add-on or 3D Profiler from CadImageTools instead AC std profiler in such cases.
Can anyone comment on why these two elements (created using Profile Manager) do not join when I use the "Intersect" function?
David Maudlin
Rockstar
LINZ:

ArchiCAD will find the intersection in the 2D plan plane, not 3D space.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can use hidden elements to use as SEO's to cut the elements to look like they intersect. I made a dormer with classical revival detailing that had 4 different layers (all with different layer priorities) to achieve the proper look. I was able to use the 3D dormer to get all my sections, elevations, eave & rake details, etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
LINZ:

David
I'm not sure what that means. Could you explain?

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
You can use hidden elements to use as SEO's to cut the elements to look like they intersect. I made a dormer with classical revival detailing that had 4 different layers (all with different layer priorities) to achieve the proper look. I was able to use the 3D dormer to get all my sections, elevations, eave & rake details, etc.
This method creates a problem where the object's materials are not consistent at the location of the intersection. If I'm not understanding you correctly, do you have an example you could show?
David Maudlin
Rockstar
LINZ wrote:
David wrote:
ArchiCAD is just considering the X-Y plane. So two beams that are parallel in plan (as shown in your example) cannot intersect, they have to be at some angle to each other. On the other hand if the beams are at an angle to each other, but at different heights, they will still be intersected in plan, even though they do not intersect in 3D. In your example the two beams would intersect at some Z point, but ArchiCAD is not looking at the Z values, only the X & Y values.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
LINZ wrote:
David wrote:
ArchiCAD is just considering the X-Y plane. So two beams that are parallel in plan (as shown in your example) cannot intersect, they have to be at some angle to each other. On the other hand if the beams are at an angle to each other, but at different heights, they will still be intersected in plan, even though they do not intersect in 3D. In your example the two beams would intersect at some Z point, but ArchiCAD is not looking at the Z values, only the X & Y values.

David
I imagine this would all be easier with AC 15? I wonder if the ability to extrude a custom profile on a ruled surface or line would be the best solution here.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
LINZ wrote:
I imagine this would all be easier with AC 15? I wonder if the ability to extrude a custom profile on a ruled surface or line would be the best solution here.
I don't think AC 15 will make any difference in joining two beams. I would use an Elevation view to move the top of the sloping beam to the correct spot in the Z direction, then go back to plan to stretch its other end to the right spot.When stretching a sloped beam the Pet Palette gives 2 options for either continuing the slope or maintaining the current Z height, use the 1st option.

You should add to your Signature in your Profile your current ArchiCAD version for more accurate help in this forum.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
LINZ wrote:
I don't think AC 15 will make any difference in joining two beams. I would use an Elevation view to move the top of the sloping beam to the correct spot in the Z direction, then go back to plan to stretch its other end to the right spot.When stretching a sloped beam the Pet Palette gives 2 options for either continuing the slope or maintaining the current Z height, use the 1st option.

You should add to your Signature in your Profile your current ArchiCAD version for more accurate help in this forum.

David
I left this problem, and just came back to it today.

If I understand correctly, then, there is NO method in Archicad to resolve this problem. I wonder how other people create custom eaves and soffits? This seems like a problem that needs a resolution as it's so common in residential design.
Dennis Lee
Booster
http://www.archicadwiki.com/GableProfileWithShell

AC15 required.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9